2005 chevy silverado 3500 dually

Ok so we have a 2005 chevy silverado dually 3500 duramax diesel...the engine is making an awful puttputt noise and when you hit the gas the truck will not move, it won't even rev up when you hit the gas. this is a serious problem because we need it for work purposes and all the mechanics say it's gonna be about a week before they can even look at it. so id anyone has any ideas feel free to let me know. thanks.

hope

Reply to
hopey42107

How about water in the diesel fuel?

Reply to
Bill

thats what we were talking about but what would be the easiest way to check the fuel.

Reply to
hopey42107

THere is a fuel filter on the right rear side of engine about midway down that is also a water seperator. Change the filter and look for water in assembly. Many do not bother to check or change it and it should be change every 10 or 15K and checked for water every oil change. (it is in the owners manual)

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

we already changed it about a week ago.

Reply to
hopey42107

Greetings,

The Duramax is a very technically advanced motor. You don't mention if your service engine soon light is on (I would think that it is), but the first step is to hook up a code reader and see what the computer is telling you and what error codes are stored in the memory. Your motor may be in "Limp Mode" because of a problem somewhere in the powertrain/driveline/transmission that is telling your computer to cut power to save you from more damage.

Any way you cut it, reading the codes should be the very first step in any diagnostic procedure so do that and post back with the results and maybe someone will be able to give you more information.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

If you have OnStar, push the blue OnStar button on your rearview mirror and ask them what, if any, error codes are shown. You can also give them your eamil address and they will send you a monthly printout showing all sorts of status.

Ron

Reply to
Ron Recer

Greetings,

You might want to check that Ron. Chevy's advertising specifically lists that the OnStar engine check feature is not available on the diesel. I don't have OnStar so I may be wrong, but that's what the fine print in the current ads say.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

I haven't seen the add, but I got an email report from them on 12/29/06 on my '06 Chevy 3500 Duramax HO and it reports the correct mileage and oil life %. Some stuff isn't easy to verify since if a system checks OK it doesn't give you the details. Perhaps it diagnoses some things and not others.

Ron

Reply to
Ron Recer