2nd fuel tank

Page 1 of 2
I have an 89 chevy 3/4 ton long bed with one 34 gallon tank, i would like to have another put in. what would that entail.

Doc
I get paid the first of the month and would love to be able to gas up for the month then, how difficult would that be to do.

Sorry I don't have any experience adding a second tank to share, just a little humor... LOL... Made me think of the old movie "Gumball Rally" - they guys in the light-blue van that was full of gas! BOOM. And also thought of my landloards workers who got confused over which tank they put the gas into (in a the tree-cutting-service-truck (F350)). I found them along the road and towed them (w/ the Sonoma) to the nearest service station. Later someone figured it out and they all felt dumb. Elliott
mat wrote:

tanker hidden under it 34 gal main and a 25 gallon aux up under the center. Hits E with about 6 gallons left between the two tanks. 53 gallons @ 1.929 locally, makes me want an armed guard to escort me into the store.
However, the easiest way is to look at the in bed tool box/fuel tank combinations. There are kits that go under the truck but they will cost you more and are a pain to install. http://home-decorating.in-the-market.com/Combo-Tool-Box-Fuel-Tank-0.htm for 90 gallon units.

$1.84/gallon. Usually fill er' up at 1/4 tank and runs me about $48 bucks.
Doc

I fill my 34 gal tank up once a week (usually about $25) to cut down on the shock to my wallet. I've been working really close to home lately and filled up for the first time in a month... $49.96... I wasn't a super happy camper at that moment.
-Bret
i do that every 2 weeks

Must be nice. I'm feeding my beastie every 3 days like clockwork. Put lotsa miles on her; I just can't bring myself to buy a 4-banger that'll sip the gas instead of chugging it like my truck does.
Doc

<snip>
it's only nice in that some of the current projects we have going on are very close to my house... one is 1 mi away (which is my project), one about 7 miles away and one about 15 miles away.... it hasn't been that way for a while... for the couple years before that I was driving 30-40 miles one way.. fartest I've had to drive is 90 mins one way didn't that suck. $60+ a week in gas at $1.49 or so.. it was getting old.
-Bret
About $40.00 maybe 2.5 times a week here. 89 o-tang here
~KJ~

Re: " Aye, I have a 34 gallon in mine right now and run 89 through her at $1.84/gallon. Usually fill er' up at 1/4 tank and runs me about $48 bucks. Doc " --------------------------------------------------------------- Cry me a river Doc, 87 is $ 2.14 at the chepest place in town ( L.A. is a big town ).If I was to fill my three tanks it would be $150. Yesterday I put $42 in main ( 19.4 gal) But the salt in the wound is the 10.4 MPG I'm getting !

I wasn't complaining, just stating the facts...............
Doc
"Doc" wrote:

second tank to his s-10. He removed the spare tire and hanger for it and used the tank from a blazer. The same thing should work on the full size trucks, I remember our 79 blazer had the tank behind the axel where the spare is on the trucks. Pick up a tank and straps and cut the sheet metal around the filler on the blazer body and weld it up to the truck.

Hhaaahhh! Hhaaahhh!
nospam
serious. would i need to change fuel pumps, or is the stock one crossfeedable, what about sending units, and filler necks

reprogrammed for 87 octane gas as the 93 octane price is killing me. It hasn't hit $100 for a fill up yet, but it has gone past $75.00. ($78.39 IIRC).
Just get one of those farm/contractor's fuel tanks that set in the bed of your truck. Fill it up and then you can fill your truck up from it whenever you need to.
I want to do this and still have my bed free. i am looking for under the bed options,

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 06:44:58 GMT, "Diamond Jim"

most (if not all) of those auxillary tanks are approved for diesel only. I'm sure it's a regulatory type thing.
-Bret
I've got a '93 shortbed ext cab that came with a 25gal tank. I bought a tank from an outfit in CA that advertises in the mags. It's advertised @ 40 gal but holds like 42. Its wider and longer then then the OEM. I installed it myself and it fit nearly perfectly. I had to add a shim to one bracket. It utilized the oem pump added to their sending unit and suction tubes. It came with a welded skid plated added on. All in all I'm very happy with it. Its been installed now for 7yrs. If your intresed e-mail me and I'll dig up the old invoice with the companies name. Russ