4 Wheel Steering

I was jsut wondering a few things about the 4 Wheel Steering package that you can get. Is it full-time? How does it work?
-- ----------------------------------------------------------------
Ed Murray Certified Locksmith My Enthusiast's Website: http://www.crooked-ridez.com
See this link
http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado/quadrasteer.htm
never tried it, but I understand that it is really neat.

One more thing to break... For a towmobile or light 4wd Ok, but I'd be chary of using 4 wheel steering in hard offroading.
rhys

I had heard about a magazine write up that put larger tires, built the rig, and used it as a rockcrawler for their article. Has anyone seen that article or know what magazine it is out of? I guess it held up to lots of hardcore abuse.

I wouldn't see why. It's a front drive shaft, just in the back. Front drive shafts are pretty hefty, even stock....
~KJ~

Hmm, good point there, I didn't look too closely at the link, I just assumed it was like the honds sedan version, just beefed up to SUV standards. They (honda) are pretty flimsy, If they're front axles, then the biggest problem i see offhand is the extra hydralic lines, I presume it's turned by a hydralic ram operated by slaving to the front power steering?
rhys

The quadrasteer setup you can get in GM trucks is a Dana 60 with steering knuckles that can only turn + or - 15 degrees. it's electrically actuated and has very strong return to center springs in case the Delphi built servo fails. I don't think durability will be a problem with the unit.
-Bret

I'd bundle that option with the OnStar and tell the dealer to pull them out. Unless I was buying the truck for the wife...

The Rear axle is a Dana 60, with newly designed knuckles, they are HUGE. The axle u-joints are monsterous as well. If you see a Quadrasteer truck in a parking lot, go take a loot at it, you will see. The setup has been tested in severe duty off-road for over a year. Mud, rocks, sand. Delphi did thier work on this one, it is an excellent setup. Only problem I see is the price (I think an $1800 option). It's not that bad considering all you get.