4t65e

Page 1 of 2
what changes were made to this tranny from 00 to 01. I have a manual that covers up to 00. Looking at swaping in a 00 into a 04 model year but havent
been able to find specific info on the 04.
Call a salvage yard:
The Hollander is right 99% of the time.
I doubt that anything more than longevity updates were done. But check the gear ratios too.
RK

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 00:08:12 GMT, "Refinish King"

There was no changes. In 05 they upgraded for internal parts but gear raito have been the same since it was it started life as a 700R4 and morphed into a 4L60 around 92 with a electronic valve body ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

ya lost me here. 4t65e is a front wheel drive tranny. There are several chain ratio's offered along with a couple diff. options. There must be some internal changes as the rebuild kits differ. I know there are several torrington bearings that differ. I have alot of tranny experience but mostly with rwd. I have a service manual that covers up to the 00 model year change but nothing beyond that. I have a friend with limited funds who owns a 04 montana. I have available the powertrain from a 00 venture. I can buy the complete sub frame pull cheaper than I can buy the rebuild kit for his tranny disregarding any potential problems I may find if I do a rebuild and the cost I'll probably have to eat for a ATSG manual. My intentions are to hopefully swap it in next weekend but I dont want to go through the problems of two sub drops to find it is a no go. And just as a side note there were several changes made to the 700R4 before it became the 4L60E. Totally off subject but what is the 8L60E. Was in Toledo last week at the tranny plant trying to pick some brains on this problem and a 8L60 was mentioned. Nope they couldn't help me on the 4t65 either, nor could GMPT Warren tranny assembly workers. Here is a heads up, or maybe old news for some. I laid my hands on 6.2 aluminum blocks, not diesel. What are these bad boys for. There were a couple hundred of these there. All mill work done and main caps installed. 6 bolt mains, 4 in the top 2 in the side which were not yet installed. Looked identical to the 6.0 blocks. They were coded for the 08 model year?
If it's a front wheel drive:
We have a horse of a different color!
The interchangeability is noted by the color of the plug on the transmission.
i.e..: Traction control and all that other shit. If the plug on the transmission matches the color, it's supposed to fit.
I worked in a shop that had the Hollander Interchange, but they also had over a hundred cars to parts out.
RK

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 03:08:26 GMT, "David & Robin Johnson"

Likely a typo, it should be a 4L65 which is a RWD tranny in a new SUV. (a slightly beefed up 4L60 and there was/is a 4L85 to which is a beefed up 4L80) Also 700R4 and 4L6x tranny all had same ratios and the "L" stands for longitudal mounting (RWD) There was 4L30 series trany that was based of 4L60 and a 200R4 based off 700R4 that had different ratios but 700R4 and 4L6x's did not. The reason I keep mentioning 700R4 is because the 4l60 is based off of it and most of internal parts interchange (only valve bodies differ).
In link below you can see some GM RWD auto tranny info going back to the first one made in 40's.
http://forum.snoman.com/viewtopic.php?t 3 ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

You are correct, the "L" would be correct if talking about an SUV. However, where did you gleen this from the OP's post? Nowhere did he/she mention vehicle type. I like the way you pass blame on to the OP because you are too damn stupid to admit you were wrong

It is in a Chevy truck news group and there are no FWD GM trucks, dah...

The only one here acting like a stupid thick troll here is you... ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

So, just becasue it is in a Chevy Truck group, it means the only thing that can be discussed or talked about is Chevy trucks? I have to ask, when the fuck did you become the moderator?

Well it is ASSUMED tht it is a truck unless they state otherwise....

Yuu mean who made you the boss here? ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

No, that is not what I mean, meant, said or implied you illiterate ass. Maybe you shouldn't ASSUME, you make an ass out of yourself on a daily basis here and in many other groups.
GM's minivans are on a truck platform. The new crossover is on a truck platform. So, yes, there are FWD GM trucks

snipped-for-privacy@snoman.com says...

Nice cover up... If you really thought this from the start the first thing you should of posted was a question to verify the subject. Instead of admitting your unmistakable blunder you blame the OP for a typo, with no verification, in a lame attempt to save face. Then to top it all off you continue to tack on drivel in a lame attempt to look intelligent.

[SNIP]
[snip]
http://en.wikipedia.org
[fixed]
David & Robin Johnson wrote:

Transaxles won't interchange. The later units have a different valve body, and different internals. The change over year was 2002.
Have you tried car-part.com. They might list a yard nearby that has one for the 04. Seems to be a LOT of them around this area according to the Hollander network.
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

snipped-for-privacy@tds.net the original poster says...

Snippet from OP's second post since you still hadn't noticed. I dont think the OP is interested in your RWD disinformation.
snipped-for-privacy@snoman.com in denial says...

Funny how you stay in denial all this time when the facts were stated twice by the original poster.
"When I am clearly in error I will admit it while others do not so they are never wrong in their mind anyway." -Snoman (Oct 17 2006)
This thread is getting added to the list unless snoball admits his error.
----------------------------------- :::::::::Snojob Follies::::::::: SBJ: Dumb brake question http://tinyurl.com/2ya3wo
SBJ: Front wheel bearings-2000 Blazer?? http://tinyurl.com/2j44zv
SBJ: Snoball Defense System v1.01 http://tinyurl.com/2okyfx -----------------------------------
. Was in Toledo last week at the tranny plant

I apologize, but I will call bull on this post. As a GM employee in the Powertrain division that is in control of blocks, and is typically on the road at the engine, transmission plants, and final assembly regarding quality issues as well as compatibility for future year builds.... You did not see such blocks at a transmission facility.
Also, the structure of the GM & Willow Run (Not warren) GMPT facilities would not allow you to just stroll in and pick the minds of the people regarding a problem. Especially if you are in such a position that you only have a trans guide that only goes up to model year 2000. In all honesty, there is no way that you would be let in the gate.
Please prove me wrong, take a photo of your visitor safety card as well as your safety protocol sticker (supposed to keep both for 1 year), Explain to me what an orange zone is?

Well, Warren/Willow Run whichever. 696 to Mound road south. Yea you are

they were not at a GM facility at all. Thanks to the UAW a hell of alot of work is contracted to outside sources by all of the big 3. In the small town I live in there are 3 factories and all of them mfg automotive parts for Ford. My neighbor retired from GM about 12 yrs ago. With his benifits included it cost $56/hour every time he punched the clock. Those are his words. Can't imagine why all of the auto makers contract out work. So to see parts outside the confines of GM isn't unusual. Couple more strikes and they might all be outside Detroit.

I still call bull. In order to see someone on a smoke break, you must be witin the confines of the perimeter fence. plus, 99% of the employees there do not know how to diagnose a transmission problem. They will, however, tell you how to place part A into area B. So again, I call bull.
Oh... Out back is the railyard and the construction area for the 6speed plant. Restricted area.
You know a lot of people who transferred from the Ft to Defiance? Doubtful. In reality, there has been a reduction in workforce, and the only people allowed in were under an Appendix in the contract due to loss of work, which only included Saginaw, Massena, Doraville & OK City.

So what does this have to do with me calling Bull? Evidently, you want to make a diversion from the truth in order to try to cover up your lie.
In the future, please tell the truth, there's no need to make up stories in order for people to like you.