7004R-92K1500

Page 1 of 2
Ok here goes.. 92 K1500, 350 engine, 7004R transmission.
I've noticed a unusual noise coming from what I think is the transmission at cold start-up. Its almost sounds to me like
a pump noise, some type of unusual whine / metal rattle noise. Only hear at initial cold start and or if the truck sits for a long period of time and only when you first start it. Sounds lasts for just a few seconds and then diminishes.
I also hear a "whine" at the various shift points.
Transmission fluid is good.
Another thing, which I believe is related. At normal driving acceleration truck will down-shift and operate "normally". If you are going around 70mph on the hwy and floor the throttle (WOT) the truck will act like its downshifting but the rpms will red-line if you are not careful and the transmission feels as if its in neutral. At WOT going down the hwy from a roll at 70mph the truck wants to rev to the redline and it feels like the truck is in neutral.
I'm assuming that the transmission is about to go up in smoke?? I've made no changes to the transmission or to the engine, I did recently change the gearing , but I don't see how this would cause my problem.
Anyone dealt with a similar issue?
This only happened recently, and I only noticed it one day when I was out driving around. I usually get in some WOT runs to just see what its running like.
I have to say that the transmission feels like its totally slipping at WOT from a kick down at roughly 70mph. If you let off the throttle then truck pulls normally and shifts normally, also downshifts normally.
If I have to replace the transmission any suggestions on an aftermarket Trans or OEM rebuild. B&M, TCI,
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/All%20Transmissions.htm#gm%20tc
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/StockTransShip.htm
I've seen the above guys web sites but I have no knowledge of their work.
noticed this place for "good wrench transmissions"
http://www.lowcostengines.com/transmissions.htm
I don't abuse the truck, but I've been known to give it a little gas every now and then. Truck is serviced at regular intervals including Trans fluid and filter.
If I were you,I put a GM tranny back in from the dealer. It`s a little spendy,but the warrenty is great. I did that with my '97 Z71,cuz I pulled a heavy trailer alot. Any good shop will put in a GM tranny,but if you have a problem,GM will cover the warrenty. The GM warrenty is 3/50,000 The total cost for the tranny was $1400 installed.
Bill
Bill wrote:

$1400 for a brand new GM trans installed with warranty? Where did you get this done?
I was wrong it was $1800 but still cheap as hell. It was done by a shop in MN.
On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 20:48:21 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Bill) wrote:

Bill,
Do you recall if that included a torque converter too?
No torque converter. I thought about it,but he said I didn`t need one.Put on another 50,000+ miles before I sold it.No problems.
On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 09:23:45 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Bill) wrote:

emailed that GM dealership I posted a link to for a current price $1200 approx (forgot exact price) plus core, but they said this was the standard price at all the dealerships.
I'll have to see what the local GM shop wants. Labor should not be bad on a rear wheel drive, even though they do have to swap out the transfer case.
I'll wait to see what the Trans does and what opinions I can get as to its condition.
I might be able to get a decent deal through the place I use to work but we'll have to see.
I'm guessing at around 2 to 3 hrs labor ----------- Elbert snipped-for-privacy@me.com
If your gonna have the dealer install a new tranny,they will kill you with labor. I know they will charge you more than 2-3 hours.
On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 20:20:00 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Bill) wrote:

I've not made up my mind what I'm going to do yet. I'm going to have my friend check it out. I don't know yet if the trans is on its way to a meltdown or not.
I do think that 3hours labor is fair on R&R a rear wheel drive transmission even with the transfer case. We'll see what happens, I may have some idea as to what the GM shop transmission guy thinks by Friday. Although I would be the first to admit its a little hard to nail down what exactly is the problem without taking the thing apart.
I'll post a follow up once I know more.
I'm also debating caring it back down to the shop that did the transmission work some time ago to get his take. I live in a small town in AL, where there is only one dedicated transmission shop, and that who I dealt with before. The guy has worked on two of my previous cars and from what I know he does good work.
I'm not going to play the rebuild game again though...I would rather go with the GM Goodwrench transmission deal and get some kind of warranty. Have to see what my options are once a transmission guy has had a chance to at least see what I'm talking about.
----------- Elbert snipped-for-privacy@me.com
quoted 4.5 hrs
On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 20:20:00 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Bill) wrote:

----------- Elbert snipped-for-privacy@me.com
When is the last time the trans filter was changed?
If your going to go aftermarket, email TCI with what you have and what you use it for. They can built a trans to suit, but they probably have an off-the-shelf design that will be plenty good for what you need. Their prices are great for what you get. On a previous project, they quoted me $2400 for a TH700 with a 550HP/750 ft/lb rating with upgrades that blew me away. The project fell through so I never got to check out that design. They are a top of the line, high quality company that know what they are doing. Yes, they have the typical TH700 for the everyday truck too.
Email 'em, their great!

I don't know exactly but not over 20K
On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 21:05:52 -0600, "Shades" <shades_1970(at)netins(dot)net> wrote:>When is the last time the trans filter was changed?

Was the trans flushed then too?

no, just the standard filter and fluid swap
On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 08:05:52 -0600, "Shades" <shades_1970(at)netins(dot)net> wrote:>Was the trans flushed then too?

How many miles have you put on the trans? Any towing? What part of the country do you live in?

on the miles thing I'll have to go hunt for the receipt where the trans was "re-built" seems like a year ago or more.
I don't tow anything
I live in North Central Alabama.
I mainly just drive this thing around on the weekend and to work every now an then just to run it.
I commute about 160 miles a day so the truck is out for daily driving.
On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 20:41:26 -0600, "Shades" <shades_1970(at)netins(dot)net> wrote:>How many miles have you put on the trans? Any towing? What part of the

Sounds like a possibility of something not being set exactly right when rebuilt. Check if they have any warrantee. If they do or don't, I would take it to them and ask if they would do a free check.

about 20K on the mileage question and about 15 months ago.
On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 00:07:34 -0600, "Shades" <shades_1970(at)netins(dot)net> wrote:>Sounds like a possibility of something not being set exactly right when

here is my .o2 go wi a th350 trans ...the last truck i called my own was a 91 K1500 chevy...as far as daily driving the 700 is an ok tranny...but in my opinion it just wonthold up to any mild performance upgrades...i had a th350 installed when i rebuilt my ngine toa 383 stroker..and the tranny seems to be doing a great job of it...im now pushing out 490 horses 500 ft. lbs torque and the tranny hasnt even tried to slip...and by the way it is a TCI tranny..they are the topof the line..they offer a good warrenty package d reall reliable performance...if you plan on keeping the truc..go with the best
~nick~
On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 00:17:44 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (NiKoLaS) wrote:

Anything you can handle with a THM 350, you can handle with a 700R4, ANYTHING!! I have seen built up 700R4's live well behind big blocks and the deeper first and second gear (3.06 vs 2.52 and 1.6 vs 1.52) in the 700R4 is all the more reason to use it over the THM 350. Also for what it is worth, the 700R4 is basically a modified THM 350 with OD added to it.