83 Suburban k2500 Driveshaft INFO

I threw the u-joint while doing down the freeway. My Driveshaft appears to have suffered a few dents from the incident. Its not a truck I drive a lot, so I was thinking of going to get a nicer one from a junk yard, but not sure if this drive shaft is Suburban 3/4 ton 4x4 specific or not. Is there a better option? Thanks

Reply to
Glenflow55

Pretty sure you just need the drive shaft off of a chevy/GMC 74-91 Suburban/ K15/2500/sierra (Just not a blazer/jimmy) with the same transmission (300,

400, or 700) as you. The easiest way to tell which transmission to pull the shaft out of is just remember the shape of the one you have. You don't even need to know what the type is, just remember the shape when your pullin yourself a new drive shaft. I also think that you could bring the 'new' shaft into a drive line shop to have it checked for balance for not-that-much (a 'worth it') price. Have fun!

~KJ~ Disclaimer: Well know for ass-talking-out-of-ness

Reply to
KJ

PAN on the shape of the pan...

Reply to
KJ

As long as you locate an '81-'91 Suburban with you same trans. and 2 or 4 wheel drive setup, the rear u-joint should be the only issue!

Reply to
Shades

'73-'80's have an NP203 T-case and I am pretty sure that they are a different length than the '81-'91 NP208's!

| > ~KJ~ | > Disclaimer: Well know for ass-talking-out-of-ness | >

| |

Reply to
Shades

its the overdrive 700 r4. How much does it cost to balance a driveshaft? Just curious

Reply to
Click9

What do you mean "the only issue" as in the u-joint wont fit, needs to be replaced, or ?

Reply to
Glenflow55

Good point, didn't even think about that. So 81-91 for the year range to the OP.

~KJ~

different length than the '81-'91

Reply to
KJ

Never had it done. I bet the drive line company will tell you before they do the work though :-)

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

I lost a driveline on the freeway once too. Broke one of the ends off. From memory it was $50 to have fixed, and they checked the balance as well.

Reply to
Fletcher

Thanks for all the info. I DO appreciate it

Reply to
Glenflow55

Automatic '73-'79's had NP203's. Standards had NP205's. ALL 1980s had NP205's. '81 up is a little fuzzy for me..... with the 208's

241's.................

different length than the '81-'91

Reply to
Demon
1/2T Suburbans had 12blt rear-ends till, I think, '82. 10blt after that. The U-joint for a 12blt is smaller across(dont ask me why). For the 10blt 1/2T and the 14blt 3/4T the u-joint should swap with no problem. Length is the major point that needs attention. The slip yoke can be swapped from yours, and u-joints should be replaced on a junk yard 'shaft anyway! As mentioned by KJ, have the 'shaft balanced.
Reply to
Shades

WOW, awesome information, I DO appreciate you filling me in.

Reply to
Glenflow55

I do my best, with as few inaccuracies as possible...

Reply to
Shades

from 88 on the Xfer case is the NP 241

different length than the '81-'91

Reply to
Fred

fiddy bucks or so

Reply to
Fred

Maybe mine with its "couple of nickle/quarter sized dents" will be balanceable? Any ideas? I guess I will need to find a place that works on them in my town.

Reply to
Glenflow55

I dunno... I don't think so. It changes where the center of gravity is on the shaft (bringing it out of the center of the shaft). I'd just find a buddy who owes you something and take his shaft (bout a 10 minute job with an 7/16 (I believe) box-end wrench and forget about having it balanced. Put your shaft in for 'em too... :-)

If cash is really tight, you could get a GOOD looking shaft out the yard and try it in your truck. Slowly bring it up to speed, and see what happens...

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ