93 silverado

93 silverado 350 auto
once in a while, the service engine soon light comes on, stays on for a minute or so and then goes off again. I won't see this for another
couple of weeks and then it happens again..
everything on the truck works fine other than the light coming on once every couple of weeks. a friend in the truck with me at the time that this happened suggested that it might be low in oil which might cause the light to come on. I checked the oil level and sure enough it was down 1.5 liters.
anyone got any other ideas on what I should be checking for?
----------------------------------------------------- users trucks from this group listed below ----------------------------------------------------- http://users.eastlink.ca/~mikemcneil/index.htm
I had the same problem with my '89 Blazer with a 350. It was a sticking EGR valve. I replaced it and the engine light has not reappeared.

Michael McNeil wrote:

Find out what code it is throwing. That'll tell you what is wrong.
I think Autozone will pull the codes for you for free. If not others on the NG will know.

but if the lightisn't on then it shouldn't have a code correct?
----------------------------------------------------- users trucks from this group listed below ----------------------------------------------------- http://users.eastlink.ca/~mikemcneil/index.htm
Once the light comes on,there is a code. The computer will remember it.
Being low on oil will not turn on the engine light.
Sorry but incorrect. The codes (if any) are stored in the memory of the ECM and can still be read. If you go 50 start cycles without the light coming back on, or if you pull the fuse to the ECM for 3-5 minutes, or if you disconnect or change your battery this will also clear the codes.
You gave us only four pieces of information (1993, 350 engine, auto tranny, uses oil) and based on only these four things there is absolutely no way anyone could even remotely tell you why your SES light is coming on over the internet without either guessing or much more information. Plain and simple you need to pull the codes and have someone do some practical diagnostic work on it. The codes will only tell you what the engine senses is wrong but may not tell you exactly what is broken.
But if you are still looking for something specific as the cause, I think it's the power windows. It does have power windows, doesn't it?
Cheers - Jonathan
--
Jonathan A. Race
Lieutenant, EMS Supervisor

I always thought that the codes were gone and not stored when the light went off. I think somebody in this here group said it about a month or so ago maybe longer.
Off to the dealer this weekend then

and locks too. :)