'96 Yukon 4L60E

Page 1 of 2
I have a '96 Yukon with a 4L60E with 240,000 miles. I am not the original owner so I don't know if the transmission is original or rebuilt. I have
owned it for 75,000 miles so the transmission has at least that many. I do regular filter and fluid changes every 30,000 miles.
Recently it has been exhibiting, under certain conditions, a shudder when the torque converter is unlocking. This usually occurs when going uphill at around 70mph (approximately 2000 rpm). If I am going uphill with the converter locked and give it a slight amount of additional throttle, the rpm's will rise slightly (not as much as a full unlock) and there will be a pronounced shudder for a second. As soon as it unlocks, everything is OK.
Any suggestions as to the problem?
Thanks in advance for the help. Rich
On Wed, 4 Oct 2006 17:41:44 -0400, "Rich Burkett"

Likely reaching the end of its life cycle. When converter locks it still uses tranny clutch as well and the shudder you feel may be then slipping and chattering a bit with converter locks up and provided a torque surge via momentum of engine mass at shift being slowed down. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

That's what I feared. Given these symptoms, do you think the impending transmission failure will strand me? Or will I simply lose torque converter lock-up? I'm wondering if I should keep driving it until failure or if I should get it rebuilt now. I'd obviously rather not get stranded.
Thanks, Rich
On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 06:25:52 -0400, "Rich Burkett"

It will not likely quit overnight and if you baby it is may still work for some time. Just to not pull it hard and downshift out of OD on grades. The problem likely does not lie in converter but I tend to think it is in the tranny itself though it is hard to be 100% sure with given data. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Have you had it scanned for trouble codes?

No, I haven't had it scanned. I don't have a check engine light. Will the tranny throw a code without activating the light?
Thanks, Rich
On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 06:22:11 -0400, "Rich Burkett"

A tranny that is worn out but still fuctuioning othersie will not code ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Absolutely false.
On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 13:52:53 GMT, aarcuda69062
Yes you are correct, you are absolutely false aarcuda69062 ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
SnoMan wrote:

Here we go again, another completely false and misleading statement. What's new?
Ian

Ah, the saga continues, and you have him! Sorry Ian, but better you foks than us.<BFG>
Oh one quick thought. You are way to nice to him. Hint, do his sig, he really likes that.
cYa Roy

Yes, the transmission can set a code without turning on the CE light. The CE light is emissions related, transmission failures are not necessarily emissions related.
There is a very common problem on the 4L60E transmission where the Torque Convertor Clutch valve in the valve body wears the bore of the valve body, it is usually accompanied by a code P1870. The symptom is torques convertor clutch shudder. Sonnex has a repair kit available to ream the bore. Any good transmission shop should know about this and be able to effect a repair for much less than an overhaul as recommended by another here. Point being, there is no point in guessing when that transmission has the capability of reporting malfunctions via stored trouble codes. Any other recommendations at this point are malpractice.
See if there are any codes stored!!
aarcuda69062 wrote:

An apt description of SnoMan's uninformed blatherings!
Ian
Ian, so have I been redeemed?

-
Shep wrote:

I'm sorry, Shep, I'm not sure what you mean. I'm assuming that I must have been short with you about something. Sorry about that.
Ian
Ian, I meant that it still could be a misfire issue.

-
Shep wrote:

Oh absolutely....geez I wouldn't worry too much about what SnoMan is saying. That guy is stuck somewhere back in the 70's when it comes to vehicular technology.
Ian
An engine misfire under load just before downshift can also cause this.

-

Not very likely at all here. Facts do not support this. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
Sno, why not, just before the tcc unlocks he feels a shudder, I've seen this, under high load of course, turn out to be a misfire, sure the tcc could be an issue also, but got to consider a misfire first. Maybe I misunderstand the problem as stated?

-