AIR pump

what is this for?? it is a 350 5.7L and the belt is off of it. Although i don't notice anything else wrong....I want to replace it. But what is it actually for and what does it do?
TIA
On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 09:17:19 GMT, "Cheryl and Rob"

engine and the cat to help the cat burn any unburned hydrocarbons. Reality -- It's use was eventually discontinued so how good could it have been? Most people think that it just served to *dilute* the exhaust stream.
IF you are going to have to pass a test you will need one and it had better be working. I have seen rebuilt ones on the net for cheap. I have one on my 1980 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4. Ontarion is following the actions of California so <sigh>I guess I will keep it.</sigh> -- Best Regards Gordie

it was good and worked...............it was discontinued because CC technology changed
early CC's needed extra air to start the catalyzing process
modern ones are two-stage: first break down nitrous oxides into N and O2, then use the O2 to burn CO to CO2

yeah, like some people thought the O2 sensor was a spark plug to 'burn the fuel in the exhaust'

TranSurgeon wrote:

oh dont be silly, everyone knows its a glow plug to keep the exhaust gasses warm so Cat can work more efficiently ;-)
I have seen some cats that have a port after the first stage and before the second stage. Would this be where an air pump would be connected? or is this where the EGR is connected?
I have passed every test,on 3 different cars,with the air pump disconnected. If your oil and filter are changed,and the vehicle is tuned,you should pass know problem.My `85 Blazer pasted with no computer. The tests are a joke!
yeah I was just curious...the P.O. said he cut the belt for the AC but I looked and that belt was still on the compressor.....(duh). I did notice that he cut the AIR pump belt. He said he cut the ac belt to save on gas.....I think he is crazy. But that's besides the point. He is the kind of guy who worries about changing his blinker fluid......Thanks again for all your responses.
87 K5 350 5.7L 700R4/208 35's 4:56 D60 front and rear.

Actually the original air pumps had nothing to do with the Cat.convertor. I bought a '69 GMC 1/2 ton and had to find an air pump,and the "rails" that sent air into the exhaust manifolds right up against the heads at each port.(350 Chev.)This was to comply with the California smog check.Previous owner had remover them. Cat convertors weren't installed in Cal until '75. My understanding was that a steam of air into the exhaust flame would help burn any residual unburned fuel thus reducing hydrocarbon emissions. In Cal.you wont pass with missing/non-op smog equipment. Best......Brian
******************** There are three kinds of lies; lies,damned lies,and statistics.---Disraeli
it runs the smog air pump and you need it to pass smog laws. old john