P1416 Error Code 2000 Silverado

Hey All,

Well, I am finally in need of some help here. Vehicle is a 2000 Silverado 1500 Z71 w/ 5.3 and 62K on the clock. Truck has been flawless for quite some time. While driving yesterday around town, I got the Service Engine Soon light. I took Doc's advice and went to AZ and had the code scanned. It came up as a P1416, general emissions failure and was in there twice.

Can anyone tell me something more specific about "general emissions failure?" I have searched quite a bit, but cannot find anything related to that code. Just for safe measures, I reinstalled the fuel cap, but the light has not gone out!

TIA,

Derek

Reply to
derek

Derek,

P1416 is a malfunction in the A.I.R. system, bank 2 (passenger side). Start by checking the plumbing from the pump to the passenger side exhaust manifold..............

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Hey Doc,

Is this an electric air pump? I found a metal line (roughly 3/8") going into the top of the exhaust manifolds on each side. The drivers side wraps from the exhaust manifold behind the engine into a T fitting above the passenger side exhaust mainfold. From there, it goes to some big plastic box right under the passenger side hood latch. I am assuming that is the air pump? There is also another hose (about 1.25" dia) coming out of the passenger side exhause manifold going towards the belts. It then goes into some sort of metal bracket with a plastic housing on top that has a 2 wire connection on it. From there it looks to go under the plastic cover covering the top on the engine. Which one of these is the A.I.R. system? My haynes manual is useless regarding the plumbing of the AIR system. In fact, it doesn't even mention it!

Thanks again for all the help!

Derek

Reply to
derek

UPDATE!

I had to take the truck to the dealer for this one. Come to find out there was a bad pressure relief valve on the passenger side. Thanks for all the info Doc!

I also had the P1870 code and my check engine light was not illuminated for this. Above that, my POS harbor freight code reader did not pick up that code either. Guess you get what you pay for when it comes to readers.

Thanks again,

Derek

Reply to
derek

Looks like it's time for a new transmission eh?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Actually, got lucky! The dealer put in a new valve body under the extended warranty. I am sure it's just another grenade waiting to explode, but it should buy me 50k more or so! I will do what you said, too, when it goes, get it to Gary somehow and let him work his magic.

Thanks again!

Derek

Reply to
derek