any GM response or settlement to leaking head gaskets and manifolds?

Does anyone know if GM offers any assistance to owners who have the head gaskets and/or intake manifold leak coolant after the warranty is out?

skimmer

Reply to
News Skimmer

Sure, they'll tell you they have mechanics that will fix it . . . at their going hourly rate!!!

I had to suck that one up and deal with it as well on our '99 Suburban this past summer. It's fixed and doing fine, moving on.....

Reply to
Kevin

I contacted GM directly and rattled their cage and they fixed mine (intake manifold gasket on a 2000 K3500 w/350) last month. It was the second time it leaked. I did not pay for either repair. Part of the problem is if you have a vortec 350 the intake/head assemble was originally designed for 12 bolts (2 rear, 2 center 2 front on each side) but when they went to Vortec they left out the center bolts so the miniflod flexs more during heating and cooling plus they used a cheap plastic gasket too that was redesigned about 18 months ago.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Per Kevin:

I had the problem on my '98.

I wonder how long it's been a known problem to GM?

Longer than the 4L60E valve body thing?

Anybody know?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

It is really pretty common. The TBI 350's tended to leak oil between manofld and galley in the back and then the Vortec 350 has had a lot of problems with coolant leaks. When Vortec came out they started using a plastic gasket the fails with age. They did change the design of them a while back though but while jury is out on this new design still they did tell me that mine should not leak again. Also it is not just the Vortec 350/5.7 as the 4.3 leaks a lot and the 5.0 can a bit too but being that there is a LOT of Vortec 350's out there you have more of them go bad thyat you here about with 4.3 next and 5.0 least because not as many in use.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I ordered a 1986 3.8 SFI Buick Century wagon, thats right..1986, and 3 months after I had it, the intake manifold started leaking, then there was the cold steering problem, couldn't steer it in the morning , then the 400 overdrive transmisson ,went out because GM decided to put soft thrust washer on the out put shaft that ground down and messed up the tranny.MAP sensor went out without any code or warning, actually stopped they engine. I could go on and on... I was a GM buyer since 1962... I traded the Buick on a Honda Accord, the story is over.....

Reply to
Andy & Carol

We routinely fix the 3.1/3.4 intake manifold gaskets and head gaskets under goodwill warranty for 5 years and 100,000 klms. Sometimes, depending on the customer, it can even be longer.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Reply to
David Hill

The key here is "depending on the customer". With a GM Dealership if you keep your cool, be nice & friendly, you will find they do good will type repairs.

If you have problems with one dealer, try another. I'm not sure about Canada, Here in America the GM warranty is not limited to only being serviced at the purchased from dealership.

Once you get angry & rude with a dealership, it is like pulling teeth to get things done. GM does not own the Dealerships, they bill GM for the work they do, and GM decides on if they will pay the dealer for good will services. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Isn't the 4L80E a THM 400/OD ?????

No more outrageous than GM's parts prices.......... I just paid $70.00+ dollars for a sheet metal battery tray for a 88 PU. I guess that was a deal eh ?????

Brian..........

Kill filters - The Enema Of The Usenet !!!!!

Reply to
Brian

dollars for a sheet metal

I work for a Tier 1 auto supplier in Michigan. They mold & assemble a cup holder for the Nissan Altima. This company is paid under $9.00 for each complete unit. To buy it from the dealer you pay just under $200.00. All auto companies work this way...

Reply to
syoung

WOW!

They must you coming, and you must have pissed off the parts man?

So much for the goodwill warranty!

dollars for a sheet metal

Reply to
Refinish King

The middleman!

The company that Nissan buys through, plus the French have to make a buck too?

dollars for a sheet metal

Reply to
Refinish King

dollars for a sheet metal

The 4L80E is not a TH400. That's akin to saying a 4L60E is a TH350. Strength wise a 4L80E is equivalent to a TH400. Neither of which was available in 1986, and neither of which is used in FWD cars.

$70 for a GM battery tray? Aint bad for retail. I get Wholesale prices from dealership parts departments. Plus I'm not paying tax, until the part is installed or sold to a customer.

On Average a mechanical part for a honda costs more then it does for a GM.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Sorry to upset you Charles...we cant all be as brillant, I think the tranny was a 440 t4, I and I think I still might not have it right. They called it overdrive, because of the 4th gear. I ordered it special, because it was a rare combination at the time. I saw the engine in a Olds Toronado, and found out that I can have in a low cost Century. That option wasn't available in the Ceira. 1986 Buick Century, Custom Wagon , 3.8 SFI, Light blue, beautiful car, but I had problems. It was rammed in the rear, and was totaled, thank God my wife wasn't hurt. I thank GM for the seat belts, and crush areas which saved my wife further injuries. Some women in a beat up 77 Cutlass, was late for a yard sale!She didn't have insurance. Andy

Reply to
Andy & Carol

Maybe I jumped a bit hard. Looked like another buy a Honda, not a Chevy post. Which I have noticed is the sort of thing going on in alt.autos.gm, I get sick of seeing it. I don't go in to honda forums trolling. I really dislike honda's. I own Chevy's, Ford's, 2 Toyota's, and a Suzuki (harley doesn't make a quad).

Every brand of vehicle has problems that's why every new car dealer I have ever seen has a service department.

A TH440 is a Front Wheel Drive transmission with Overdrive. I didn't believe they were available until 1988 in the FWD mid-sizes. Occasionally I'm wrong on that stuff, that's why I have books at work that list parts interchanges. Hollander Interchange Books, same ones used by most salvage yards.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

"Charles Bendig" didst type:

I really dislike honda's. ... (harley doesn't make a quad).

Is this one of those "harley" things that cannot be understood if it has to be explained?

Blah

Reply to
blah

Thats bullshit. It is called a crappy ass designed gasket.

Reply to
Nuclear Option

dollars for a sheet metal

Well if you don't like the prices make your own tray...

Reply to
Nuclear Option

I paid $30 for the tray for a 2004.

Reply to