Anyone in here have experience with wheel spacers?

Page 3 of 3
and the rotors in a FWD car. Thats a similar principle to a spacer....and I don't see a whole lot of FWD wheels geting loose. I think it is the aluminum/steel combo Doc.....it's too soft....
Eightupman
.

Doc,
I don't have time to read all the responses so someone may have pointed this out. Years ago I owned a towing company, my recommendation after seeing many disasters, is don't do it. Most spacers ignore the center of the wheel snuggly fitting the hub of the axle. Almost all cars are designed that way. The wheel to axle integrity depends on this "fit" at the center.
Al
Theres a few folks around Calgary and area that have a 4.5" spacer behind military Hummer rims on their rigs. Theres a machinist here that spins them from solid 4340 H.T.S.R. slugs. They're a solid one piece unit that bolts to the hub, with a second set of lugs for the rim to bolt to. No lugs have to be ground down. Chris @ Evolution Machining & fabrication makes them. If you scroll through the SERVICES section theres a picture of them. Jen's big red jeep on their Main page was the first set he made. Not financially feasable for the average Joe, but absolutely worth it for the serious wheeler.
http://www.evolutionmachine.com/index.shtml