Anyone in here have experience with wheel spacers?

I would try to find steel ones Doc. I can't believe you couldn't find a pair of steelies for that truck? For winter wheels that's what I would have done, what $25 brand new at the 'zone with them thar fancy red OR blue pin stripe round the edge....

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

3 things:

  1. I did get steel wheels, they are just nicely chromed!

  1. You obviously aren't married: they had to be "pretty." I tried to get the black Cragars w/ red pinstripe for /each but the wifey had other plans.
  2. The wheels you refer to don't have the correct backspacing either.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Yeah, but with those you have to grind down the OE studs flush with the new surface to get the wheels on, making reinstallation of the stock wheels impossible. The minumum they come in is 1", and I only needed 1/2".

Regarding the sandwich, that's how your wheels are held on anyways!

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Ya women suck.... so do mini trucks.... I'd offer you the stock steelies on my S10 but I finally had it towed away, and I cleaned out a spot in my cellar and had my entire jimmy in the cellar last night!! So psyched....!

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

So it's better to sandwich to things? You should know I've had nothing but problems with my wheel/lugs!

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

I'll let ya know how the lugs I got from Jegs hold up.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

What are they made out of and how are they designed???

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

and the rotors in a FWD car. Thats a similar principle to a spacer....and I don't see a whole lot of FWD wheels geting loose. I think it is the aluminum/steel combo Doc.....it's too soft....

Eightupman

Reply to
Eightupman

well, it was a pretty picture, anyway.. *g*

Reply to
mac davis

You need to work on her training ;-)

My wife got plain black steel rims for her Grand Am along with a set of WalMart tire covers.

Good 'nuff, I say.

Reply to
Commentator

go redneck, Doc... weld the wheels on.. *g*

Reply to
mac davis

Well, I was hoping someone would say where to get steel spacers... been looking for some to go on the back of my '86 Silverado, but can't find nothing but those crappie aluminum jobs. Any suggestions?

Reply to
GC

Steel, chromed, one-piece (no top cap stuck on).

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Doc,

I don't have time to read all the responses so someone may have pointed this out. Years ago I owned a towing company, my recommendation after seeing many disasters, is don't do it. Most spacers ignore the center of the wheel snuggly fitting the hub of the axle. Almost all cars are designed that way. The wheel to axle integrity depends on this "fit" at the center.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Yes, and pictures are worth a thousand words.... ;-)

Reply to
el Diablo

On a lot of wheels, especially the cheaper ones your absolutely correct Doc. And what's really scary is when they are used on trucks, and the owner loads it to the gunnels and then some.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

The only steel spacers I have found are the hubcentric spacers. They start at 1" and go up to 4" or so. The actually bolt to your existing studs, then have their own set of studs that the wheel bolts to. The factory studs have to be ground down to get the wheel on. They're pricey, cheapest I found was $79/each.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

How are they holding up?

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

Well they were off and on a bajillion times, now they're back in the bag to be returned along with the wheels! Look fine to me.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Damned good place for them, Doc... I'd hate to have my wife driving around with them.. and you probably feel the same about them, now.. nothing is as important as the family's safety..

Reply to
mac davis