Wheel Spacers

Hi all,

Advice on wheel spacers please. I've put a rather hefty Fortec style bodykit on the little poppet and moved to 13" wheels but they still look like they're hiding under the arches. The car had 1" spacers on the rear before, can I safely put 1" spacers on the front as well ?

I know I'll need extended studs but is there anything else I should consider (and no, the bodykit can't come off 'cos I nailed it on real good :-).

Cheers

Doc

Almost ready to drive the best car I've ever had again, after 5 long years off the road.

Reply to
Doc

Its a grey area, you would be better getting a wheel with a deeper offset than using spacers, the 13" sportspack wheels don't have spacers, but having driven & owned 10", 12" & 13" wheeled cars I have to say the best handling is with a 10" wheel :-) less stress on your ball joints, wheelbearings & arms with 10" wheels,

Steve.

Reply to
Steve68s

What's the difference between using spacers of so called Deep Dish wheels?

Reply to
TurboJo

1 ich spacers on the front are okay so long as you use the proper extended studs and 1" spacer shims....... The real horror stories are from the 60's and 70's (and maybe the 80's till the present days!) when there were a load of very dodgy conversions to increase the track of your mini on the market....... These were mostly made up of stud extenders and poorly cast aluminium spacers of about 50mm!! A total recipe for disaster..... been there done that!!! (Born 1960 and still here because God hasn't noticed how bad I am yet!!!)

Just use correct extended studs and proper spacer shims from a reputable Mini dealer.... Make sure you torque the wheelnuts and check them within 20 miles of fitting and again within 200 miles......

There is no difference between correctly fitted spacers and wheels with an extra offset as far as wear and tear on the wheel bearings and ball joints are concerned...

Fantastic to have your mini nearly ready to drive again after 5 years!!! The Summer is here.... Enjoy .... Enjoy.... Enjoy!!!!!

Regards

Alan

Reply to
Alan

Many thanks for the advice guys, the Fortek kit is a wide one so the extra inch will be a bonus on getting the nice shiny Starmags out in the sunshine. Just got to finish the wiring up this weekend, put the windscreen back in and then get a new exhaust fitted.

Get the little poppet out to go play chase with some of the Cooper Bini's whilst the sun shines.

Doc

Reply to
Doc