Automatic trans leak after removing engine

I have a 97 suburban with a 5.7L and automatic trans. I have just removed the engine to rebuild it due to high mileage. I have never had any leakage
from the transmission. As soon as I removed the torque converter from the flex plate and removed the engine the trans started letting out trans fluid from between the torque converter and the trans. I am assuming that this is normal because the shaft is a little off center when it is not connected to the flex plate. What I would like to know is if this kind of leak is normal, and will it, with all probability, stop when the engine is reinstalled. If not, is it difficult to pull off the converter and replace the shaft seal while the trans is still in the truck?
Thanks for help MJ
While you've got the engine out, go ahead and replace the front pump seal on that transmission. Yes, it's a *real* pain to do it after you get everything back together - and make sure you seat the torque converter all the way into the transmission after putting in the new seal - it'll take alot of the pressure off the seal.
Jeremy

leakage
fluid
is
replace

Don't be like me (in 1990) - replace the front seal while it's an easy job. I wish I had. I poured quart after quart after quart of ATF into that transmission over the years to keep the fluid level up.
it has to get better eventually
Ya, I just replaced that seal on my truck a couple of months ago too, P.I.T.A...... it actually blew out while I was driving. I found out the hard way too, that the front cover plate IS the pump. Oh well, live and learn I guess.