Caprice Trans Leak

My 85 Chevy Caprice has been leaking trans fluid pretty badly, but it has stopped now. After letting it drip for about 2 weeks, with a pan under it, it has just about stopped. The cold, engine-not-running fluid level is about 1 inch above the "full hot" line on the stick. Does this give me a clue about what part of the trans is leaking? I checked the filler tube O ring and the pan gasket, and it's not them.

Thanks

Reply to
Lecher9000

If cold you are over the full mark, the transmission will puke out the vent tube on top. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Why not just dry it off with a rag or brake cleaner after jacking it up? Then run it and look again. You could be leaking from a bad o-ring at the speedometer cable or where the shift lever enters. A front or read seal would be rather obvious. I don't think you really looked at it close enough. It's a box with some holes in it and one or more are leaking.

Reply to
eddy eagle