Batteries

I needed a batter for my 1994 Chevy C1500,5.7L.
I went to several different Auto Stores.My question is each store according to their computers suggest a different battery.
The cold cranking amps and cranking amps,differ from store to store. What should the cold cranking amps and the cranking amps be for this vehicle. I ended up with 900 cranking amps and 770 cold cranking amps.
Some suggested cranking amps as low as 700 and as high as 1000
Some suggested cold amps as low as 550 to 800amps.
My alternator is putting out 14.7 amps according to my meter test.
Thanks Doug
Doug wrote:

Your alternator doesn't put out 14.7A, the current load of your truck is drawing 14.7A from the alternator when you tested it. This number will vary greatly depending on the state of charge of the battery and how many electrical devices you have running.
Get the most CCA's you can afford. You won't regret having too many (as in it doesn't hurt) and you WILL regret having too few. Where you live makes a difference, as I am in Minnesota where there are days we use every bit of juice just getting started in the morning. I personally don't buy batteries with less than 750 CCA's.
Big Chris
Doug wrote:

I ended up with 900 cranking amps and 770 cold cranking amps
There was one battery with 800CCA's. and 100CA's
I guess I should of gotten that one.I was afraid maybe the alternator was not strong enough,which probably has nothing to do with it.
I live in Northern PA,it get cold up here too!!
Thanks for the help
Doug

Yeah, It wouldn't have mattered. When it comes to batteries the bigger the better. The only difference between the larger one and the smaller one is if they went dead the larger one would take more time to charge.

Adair
I went back and got the 1000CA's and 900CCA's
He did not evencharge me the $10.000 difference.
Thanks for all the reply's Better safe than sorry.
Doug
wrote in message

The Cold Cranking Amps rating is the main factor to look at. 750+ CCA would be fine. Then its up to you how much you want to pay for a battery over 750 CCA.

--
elbert.clarke@**us.army.mil
remove the ** to email