Battery acid questions...........

Hi all. I used to be active in this group a couple years ago, and now I've returned. I I had a battery tip over right behind my passenger front seat, in
my '86 Blazer, and leak acid out into the carpet and onto the rubber mat.now the carpet is all soaked with acid. My kids get in and out of the back of my Blazer by crawling onto the floor and then into the back seat. Is there any way to neutralize the acid so it won't burn them, and rot out the knees of their jeans??? Like maybe baking soda and water??? Any ideas???? Thanks in advance. -Jon H.
Bang on. Baking soda, baking POWDER is NOT an equivalent.... You'll end up with a 'salty' carpet and a cab full of CO2. Pour the powder on, let set. Hose out... messy but effective. Here is a link that might interest you...
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/chem99/chem99665.htm
~KJ~

This needs to be in a wet solution
Oh shit! Lots of baking soda mixed with water will help, but any cotton fabric that sulfuric acid touches gets eaten up.........and it burns the skin too, but not right away, unless it discovers a cut. Then you know it, right away
Ken....BA Chemistry, San Jose State-l968

Not only a teacher, but one who learned to type on a type-writer!
L968!!! ;-)
I also read that if there is ALLOT of acid, or if it is highly concentrated, that the baking soda can bubble up and cause splattering... NOT good. Start by diluting with water, then add the baking soda. As you may find, baking soda plus acid makes a salt and CO2.
~KJ~

Pull out the carpet even if it means removing seats. Otherwise you'll basically have salt water in the carpet. Then use the baking soda as others have suggested. You'll also need to cleanse the acid from the metal floor pan or it will eat through it eventually. Any padding should get the soda treatment also. Wash and dry everything thoroughly before putting it all back together and using some rust preventative might also be in order.
Loyd
Hi all. Thanks for the advice. It was only about an ounce of acid that spilled. Just enough to be a pain in the #$%. I'll scrub it down with some water & baking soda and call it good. Thanks!!!
Was just thinking about that and realized that a "rug doctor" cleaner (using the baking soda solution) would probably get it done perfectly. Those machines have great vacuum power, and coupled with the baking soda would most likely do a great job.

after you THINK you have it cleaned up, sprinkle some more baking soda on the area every few days
it will neutralize any that you missed