Disco battery questions

I don't use the Disco (3.9V8) much and wasn't the least bit suprised when it was a bit reluctent to turn over when starting during the cold weather last week. Last night got in, put key in, turned and got the click click click of the solinoid. Out with the trusty Maplins portable jump staring thingy and it started ok. Now normally i would take the battery off and charge it but cant find the radio code at the mo...........so until i do heres a few questions for you all. Oh should mention that i am getting 10.5V at battery with engine off and

14.3V with engine running.

When i start the engine the battery volts drops to 6 volts. What would people expect the voltage of a good battery to drop to when starting??.

How do i tell how old the battery is?. Cant find any date stamps

I have a vauge idea as to what the radio code is, how long do i get between attempts if it's wrong. Standard Land Rover radio btw.

Ok off to find the code now......hoepfully....

Dom J

Reply to
Dom J

Hi Dom

The voltages you mention seem to be about right, as for the date of the battery, I am sorry I cannot help.

But a little tip if you cannot find the radiocode, get a regulated power supply (12Volts) and attatch a cigarette plug to the lead, and plug it into the socket.

Mind you dont short any connections out or have anything switched on, and it will keep the supply to the radio while you charge it.

You could use a 9Volt battery in the same manor, but might not last too long.

Metwo

Reply to
METWO

METWO uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Double check if the ciggy socket is live when the ignition is off too.. I don't think ours is.

Lee

Reply to
Dr_D

On or around 11 Feb 2007 07:34:05 -0800, "Dom J" enlightened us thusly:

10.5V is way too low as a charged voltage. 14.3V engine running implies that it's charging OK. Once run for a while (say at least 10 minutes) the "off" voltage should be at least 12.5V.

a good one goes down to about 9V. I reckon you've got a sick cell in it.

the dealers can supply you with the code, if you've lost it.

I think you get 3 attempts, then wait half an hour, then 3 attempts, erm... it's in the manual. 10 attempts overall springs to mind, in groups of 3 with a wait in between, and then one last-ditch attempt...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 11 Feb 2007 16:02:19 -0000, "METWO" enlightened us thusly:

no they don't. fully charged voltage for a 12V lead-acid in good condition is 13.8V, but they rarely achieve that in practice. anything under 12.5V off load is a sign of low charge or shagged battery. one reading 10.5V I wouldn't really expect to turn the engine over - 10.5V is well on the way to flat. 6V when cranking is also a bit on the low side.

now that's an excellent tip. I like it.

On the disco I I think the faglighter is only live with the ignition on, so you'd want to leave the ignition on.

You could of course do the same trick with a pair of jumpleads and a spare batttery, though I'd imagine it's easier your way. An assistant to keep hold of the + terminal and stop it landing on something earthed might be a good plan, too.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Anaemia?

Reply to
Rich B

Your battery is on its way out, change it soon.

I think you can cancel the radio code before disconnecting it, check your owners handbook.

Reply to
tiscali

Not if it's white..... TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

:-)

Reply to
Rich B

On or around Sun, 11 Feb 2007 18:36:56 -0000, "tiscali" enlightened us thusly:

AFAIK, the disco I radios are coded, like it or not. If you could turn it off, it'd not be much use.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Don't have to be a wholesaler to have a CostCo card, many "professionals" or retired professionals can be members, but they can't shop in the mornings. Those who are in "business"[*] get trade membership can shop in the mornings and can buy certain things in trade quantities, like paracetamol (no retail 2 x 16 tablet pack limit).

[*] Anyone who can show that they are trading or run/manage a business.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice