Battery Questions 740GL

It was 1996 when i last changed my battery. It's an AC Delco that I got from Costco. So now, it's almost 8 yrs later, and my car seems to start fine. What are the main symptoms that the battery is dying? I think it's about time to replace since I think my battery is going above average lifespan and it is deemed to die soon. i read another thread here that peoples batteries last 2-5 yrs?

I had it checked at Costco when I changed my tires in September, and they told me it has about 3 months left.

i'm in Vancouver, Canada. Winters are not that cold for the last couple of years. Only in the - degrees for a few days each year.

Only problem I notice when I start the car while it's warm, I have to lightly touch the gas pedal for about a second after the engine turns, otherwise it will die off and have to restart.

Thanks!

Reply to
Jenn Chang

A dying battery will cause the engine to crank over slowly on cold days, then gradually it'll crank slower on warm days too, then it may not crank at all when it gets cold.

Reply to
James Sweet

Too bad you live so far away Jenn. I've got a 6 month old genuine Volvo battery for a 7 series languishing on my basement floor...I'd like to see it go to a good home

RS, Ottawa

an AC Delco that I got

Reply to
Rusty

Best put it on a trickle charger of some sort or it'll be a boat anchor within months.

Reply to
James Sweet

Hey...you're up late...

It's a boat anchor now...I have zero use for it. Anyone?

RS

"James Sweet" wrote

Reply to
Rusty

There are 2 things that kill batteries that you don't really have in your climate - extreme heat and extreme cold. My father in law lives on the island, and regularly gets astronomical life from his batteries. However, I don't think he's ever gone much more than 10 years on a battery.

If your battery has failed a proper battery test, it's probably time to change it, even if it's still starting the car. I don't think your stall after warm start is caused by the battery, you probably need a throttle body and idle valve cleaning.

Reply to
Mike F

I think the battery in my mom's car has been in there close to 10 years now, the only thing I've had kill a battery is leaving the headlights on all day, drained it flat and it was never the same after that, happened in two different vehicles.

Reply to
James Sweet

TWC: In Hong Kong here,the battery life is about 2-5 years but I think the rules is the same all over the world : its good to replace the battery before its dying.

Jenn Chang ¼g¤J¡G

Reply to
TWC