Brakes Fixed

OK guys,
Got em' fixed for real this time. I've logged 500 miles since the repair and they're f**king awesome! The truck stops at least 50% shorter than it
ever has. In fact, it stops shorter than any vehicle I've ever driven. I'm thinking of calling Guiness...........almost threw me through the windsheild the first time I mashed on them. My buddy was with me, had an upset stomach that day and almost blew chunk it stopped so damn quick.
Here's what happened. The fittings on the lines from the master to combo valve and from combo to front brakes/RWAL hydraulics were shot (prior owner overtightened?), so when I installed the new combo valve the fittings wrecked the flares in the aluminum. That, and the <new> master cylinder I bought was defective. Not wanting to fork out another $200 for another valve and master, I went to the junkyard and grabbed a combo valve+RWAL+master off a 93' truck. Different valve and RWAL design, but fully compatible with older system. Cost me 20 bucks!
Replumbed the lines from master to combo, from combo to front-T and RWAL to rear union, put her all together, and voila, amazing brakes. My pedal is kinda low and kinda mushy <no, there isn't any air in them, so don't even say it!>, but the brakes are amazing, so I'm not gunna screw with it anymore.
Here's my final diagnosis. Original culprit was Combo valve. After replacing combo <first time>, the front brakes were hydraulically locked due to faulty <new> master and the rears had air in them because of the fitting between the combo and RWAL hydraulics. After replacing these parts the problem was solved.
In sum, here's what was done:
1) New calipers (bleeders on old ones snapped after 1st master replacement) 2) New front flex hoses (old looked pretty crappy, figured what the hell, might as well) 3) New master (junkyard) 4) New combo valve (junkyard) 5) New ABS hydraulics (junkyard) 6) New line from combo to front-T 7) New line from RWAL to rear union 8) New lines from master to combo 9) New rear flex hose 10) New steel lines from rear flex to wheel cylinders 11) New Wheel cylinders (old one sheared off, taking the brake line with it) 12) 2.5 gallons of brake fluid. 13) 2 cases of beer 14) 1 carton of smokes 15) 3 years off my life
Take er' easy,
Doc
Doc, You forgot to tell us how many cases of beer.

I'm
windsheild
stomach
owner
due
fitting
replacement)
it)

you didn't read....
Look at number 13, he says 2 cases...
On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 22:09:57 GMT, "sidewinder"

Mike Levy wrote:

He used more brake fluid than beer.....thats what I call a tough job.
Alright Doc! Now get to work on that El Camino!! :-)
Kyle
Glad you got them fixed, and its really cool that you let us know what was wrong. You have helped many of us with our problems, now you have helped us learn with your problem! tad

I'm
windsheild
stomach
owner
due
fitting
replacement)
it)
Great to hear, Doc!! We knew you would be figuring it out - just didn't know when.
My hat is off to you!
Ryan

I'm
windsheild
stomach
owner
due
fitting
replacement)
it)
Oh come on, where's the grand total $$$?
How can you expect me to relay this story at some later time to my friends without a grand total? It will be hard enough to beleive, but when I add in the total cost, that will seal it (Bullshit, no one would spend that much).
Glad to hear you got it licked,
Tony

it
I'm
windsheild
stomach
owner
due
fitting
replacement)
it)
GGGGGGreat!

I'm
windsheild
stomach
owner
due
fitting
replacement)
it)
. adressed to....
Percy (Doc) Veerance,
good deal Doc.
scrib ................... Brakes Fixed for real this time Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Thu, Oct 2, 2003, 5:42pm (CDT+1) From: snipped-for-privacy@uh-uh.com (Doc) OK guys, Got em' fixed for real this time.
<snip>
After replacing these parts the problem was solved. In sum, here's what was done: 1) New calipers (bleeders on old ones snapped after 1st master replacement) 2) New front flex hoses (old looked pretty crappy, figured what the hell, might as well) 3) New master (junkyard) 4) New combo valve (junkyard) 5) New ABS hydraulics (junkyard) 6) New line from combo to front-T 7) New line from RWAL to rear union 8) New lines from master to combo 9) New rear flex hose 10) New steel lines from rear flex to wheel cylinders 11) New Wheel cylinders (old one sheared off, taking the brake line with it) 12) 2.5 gallons of brake fluid. 13) 2 cases of beer 14) 1 carton of smokes 15) 3 years off my life Take er' easy, Doc
Glad to hear you got it done Doc.
Mine still suck. Still working it out.
Take care, Edward Murray

I'm
windsheild
stomach
owner
due
fitting
replacement)
it)

repair
it
combo
is
even
hell,

I'm
windsheild
stomach
owner
due
fitting
replacement)
it)
Doc, Sorry I missed your brake problem. Just read it today and glad you fixed it. Now that I'm off the floor from ROTFLMAO. Please I'm not laughing at you just with you. Take care and good luck with the El Camino. Wayne