2000 Blazer suspension question

Howdy all,

I have a 2000 blazer, 4 door/4 wheel drive/S10. I am getting a popping noise from the right front when I turn sharp right turns and when I brake, small popping/crackling noises.

I hadn't had the time to get up under there and look yet, but someone said they thought it was that the joint was probably dried up and needed lubed. I was told by someone else that there wasn't any place to grease the fittings that it was a closed system(?).

Can someone tell me if this is so?

Thanks in advance!!

Jim

cowboy67@casscomm(DOT)com

Reply to
Cowboy67

Check the grease fittings on your upper and lower ball joints. They should be firm to the touch (full of grease). A popped grease boot and no lube on the balljoints will cause a popping noice on sharp turns.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

True the CV joint is a sealed system but the boots do rip. Most of the time you dont have to even get all the way under it. To tell just look at the inside of your hub behind your tire to see if there is grease sludeged up or feel around to see if the boot is ripped .Or as Doc stated could be a balljoint.But most of the time if its a cracklin noise its your CV joint.Which if its making noise already you may be too late and need to replace it.

Reply to
Steve Cook

Re: 2000 Blazer suspension question

True the CV joint is a sealed system but the boots do rip. Most of the time you dont have to even get all the way under it. To tell just look at the inside of your hub behind your tire to see if there is grease sludeged up or feel around to see if the boot is ripped .Or as Doc stated could be a balljoint.But most of the time if its a cracklin noise its your CV joint.Which if its making noise already you may be too late and need to replace it.

Yep, there is definately grease up in there. That is one of the things I started smelling was burnt grease. What is involved with replacing it? Is it something any old joe can do or does it require special tools and I will be better off taking it in?

Thanks again all!

Jim

Reply to
Cowboy67

Re: 2000 Blazer suspension question Yep, there is definately grease up in there. That is one of the things I started smelling was burnt grease. What is involved with replacing it? Is it something any old joe can do or does it require special tools and I will be better off taking it in? Thanks again all! Jim

take off the tire ,brake caliper,and rotor.Remove the nut in the center of your hub that holds the joint .Remove the nut to the bottom ball joint and pop it out (need a removing fork and a big hammer for this)or with a big hammer hit the side of the hub and it will come out but ya kinda need to know where to hit it or youll be hitting it all day with no luck.Lift the whole hub up and the end of the joint should come out Most of the time a good tug will pull out the other side .But if not its held in by a little clip just pry the other side out .Since its already making noise its better to replace it so you wount have problems later.Instalation is just the oppisite.not too hard but if you are unsure of what your doing you can spend alot of time and energy getting nowhere.Doesnt take that long someone with experience can R&R a cv joint in about 20 mins.If ya have the tools to get it out.,Most people dont have a socket big enough for the hub nut nor a fork in their home tools unless the do this as a hobby or on the side.If you have struts you can take out the bottom two nuts of the strut and pull the hub down but this will throw it out of alignment unless you mark the placement of the strut and the hub. hoped this helped steve

Reply to
Steve Cook