Conventional to Synthetic

I am gonna change to Synthetic Oil. Do I need to run a cleaner through it? I talked to a few people and they said since I have low miles,no. 04' 2500 HD 6.0 14,000 miles
Thanks, Bill
Just do a regular oil change. After one regular-interval run on synthetic you should be ok to run longer intervals depending on the service it sees.
On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 14:20:50 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Bill) wrote:

I have 10,000 on my 04' 2500HD 6.0 Crew Cab, and I've changed to full synthetic at 5,000 miles. I also use a ACDelco Ultraguard Gold oil filter ( UPF44 part#25329389}, any GM Dealership should have or order some for you, for around 9 or 10 bucks. Go to www.acdelco.com , and read about them. A great oil filter. They use them on Corvettes, Escalades, etc.

would swithching to synthetic be good for me as well, 92 chvey with 185k on it?
Changing to full synthetic with so many miles wouldn't be a good idea. Full synthetic cleans the inside of your engine, if you had any bad gaskets, it would cause your engine to start leaking oil. (this is what I've been told).

Nonsense.
A conventional oil that had the same detergent package as a full synthetic would clean the inside of the engine in exactly the same manner as a full synthetic. Synthetic oil in and of itself has no magical cleaning power, it's the detergent additives that keep the engine clean. Your source of this disparity in detergent packages comes from where?

"Bad gaskets" leak just fine when using conventional oil.
(this is what I've been

That's a shame...
Changing to full synthetic with so many miles wouldn't be a good idea. Full synthetic cleans the inside of your engine, if you had any bad gaskets, it would cause your engine to start leaking oil. (this is what I've been told). --------------------------------------------------------------- You've been told wrong I'm sorry to say. All modern Motor Oils contain detergents. Synthetics won't clean your engine any better than the cheapest recycled wal mart oil.
The difference between sythetics, and conventional oils might be a smaller molecular structure. It is a fallicy that synthetics cause leakage. Synthetics are made from base oil stock. Mark
Fred wrote:

    A Company I Sell used parts to has a fleet of pick up's, semi trucks, medium duty trucks cranes & equpiment. They do not buy anything new (most over 150,000 miles). First thing they do is change the fluids. They use Lubercation Engeeners Syntecic 10W30 in gas engines. Stuff looks like Moutain dew Code Red.
    I have procured some and used it my self in high milage vehicals. No ill effects. No leaks that were not there before, and no worse. And no, you don't need any special oil filters. Charles
I switched my 92 Chevy to a full synthetic at 200K and had no problems but I also had a tight engine. Doug snipped-for-privacy@mchsi.com

I use the Wix filter. Is that ok?
Bill
Wix is a pretty good filter, that's who makes the N.A.P.A. oil filters. I mentioned the ACDelco UPF44 Ultraguard Gold filter, because if you're spending the extra money to go full synthetic, use the best oil filter, to go with it. http://www.acdelco.com/html/catalog/index_auto.htm (website about the filter) check the different links that talk about the filter.

"synthetic specs" is fine... YMMV
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Another fallicy about Oil Filters. Don't matter what you buy, you wanna spend $10 bucks on a filter, be my guest. By 1000 miles, any filter you buy that is the size of a soda can is essentially shot, plugged, and you're by-passing it.
You want good filtration? Install a Bypass Filter Kit from somebody like Amsoil. This is no plug for Amsoil Brand Oil. Use whatever Oil you like. Mark
Hi Bill,
Go to the synthetic and have a shorter interval between the next change. I got slightly better gas mileage when I changed it all.
Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Take care,
Blair