Crankshaft Position Sensor question

2000 Silverado 5.3L, 4X4, 167K
I need to replace the Crankshaft Position Sensor. The manual states that after replacement it must be connected to a scan tool for a "CKP System
Variation Learn Procedure". Is this something that needs to be done at a dealership or can it be done with a generic scan tool? Is there a way to do it without a scan tool?
Thanks for any advice, Al Bottoms Up Divers
Most generic scan tools won't:
You can go to a local shop, and maybe get that done for about $30.00 to $50.00 bucks.
But, make sure they check to see that it's set no more than + or - 2% (degrees)
The distributor drive gears have a tendency to wear in the middle on these and the HEI type 3 distributors. The reason being that, the cam gear castings are a bit rough.
If the sync is off, and the distributor gear is good, GM makes a shim kit, to move out the CKPS. Due to the plastic timing cover warping.
RK

RK, you're describing the camshaft position sensor adjustment AKA cam synch, he's asking about crankshaft variation relearn. They are two entirely and unrelated procedures not to mention that the 5.3 doesn't have a distributor to begin with.
Is the 5.3 the coil on plug?
Is so, my blunder, again.
I use an OTC.
Sorry for the blunder.
RK

Yes, 5.3 is coil to plug
Thank you:
I only ever worked on two of those.
RK

Yes it is. I probably should have mentioned it was a "New Style".
I got the new sensor in today but we weren't able to do the learn procedure. It seems to run fine (only drove it about six miles home). Is it possible that I won't have to do it? I am going to the dealer Monday for an unrelated recall, should I ask them to do it even if it's still running fine?
Al Bottoms Up Divers

It's a good idea to do it:
Would you believe the crank and cam sensors can deploy the vehicle antitheft system.
RK

In article

Yes, get the relearn procedure done. It's needed for accurate ignition timing control and to ensure that misfire detection will work properly.