crankshaft position sensor help

has anybody replaced one of these on a 1998 dodge stratus es with v6? whats the best way to do it? i cant' even see it from the top, it's suppose to be near the distributor. thanks

Reply to
randy pape

I would say its near the crank, hence the name Crank position sensor. since the crank is at the bottom of the engine it will be down there. I believe it needs to bet set to a certain distance from the crank and that is critical, so if your not comfortable doing that, get it in to a reputable shop.

Reply to
robs440

You will have to remove the two bolts from the cruise control servo. unplug the cruise servo and pull it up out of the way. You will then be able to see were the Crank sensor sticks out of the bell housing. It is about the 8:00 o'clock position with the distributor. I believe it is a 10 mm bolt holding in the crank sensor. You have to feel for it. and use and extension. then hook on the ratchet and take it out. Reverse for install.

Reply to
hartless

Bolted on the trans housing, you can actually see it and be able to remove the bolt thru the left front wheel area looking at the trans. the hardest part is getting the connector off and then back on. Much easier on a lift.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

thanks i found it and changed it . buttttttttt the guy at autozone sold me the wrong part for the camshaft position sensor code. i changed the cranksensor and check engine light came back on and cam sensor code again too :-( i heard this sensor is inside the distributor and i just changed that out 3 months ago. what's the odd's of something bad in there? thanks Randy

Reply to
randy pape

The cam sensor is the distributor. and the odds are pretty good that could be causing the problem especially if you are loosen spark

Glenn Beasley Chrysler tech

Reply to
maxpower

thanks for the reply :-)