Intermittent starting: Speed sensor (crankshaft position sensor)?

Twice in the last month, my 99.5 2.8 A4 has refused to start. Turns over normally, but simply refuses to fire. In both cases, the failure occurred shortly after the car had been running, fully warmed up, and motor then motor shut down. Waiting 15-20 minutes after the failure resulted in normal starting; and the engine, once started, always runs perfectly. It was raining both times as well.

The DTC is 16706, PO 322--"no signal from speed sensor", which appears to be the same thing as the crankshaft position sensor. My mechanic obviously suspects this device, which is unavoidably logical. I'm just wondering if others have had a similar failure. Dave

Reply to
Interious

Sure the old 'Heat soaking' issue. Been around since the type 44s.

T> Twice in the last month, my 99.5 2.8 A4 has refused to start. Turns

Reply to
TonyJ

Am I correct in assuming that replacing the sensor fixes the problem?

Reply to
Interious

You would be correct in assuming that. Assuming that is, in fact, the problem which sounds likely to me.