Dual Batteries

'85 K5
How would one go about this? What kind of alternator should I switch too? I've seen the welding systems with the super heavy duty alternators, can they handle a constant high-draw
like this for charging two batteries? Anyone have an isolator that they particularly like? I would like a very 'sophisticated control center, where the second battery is more an 'accessory' battery. IE if I want to sit and listen to the radio, switch over to batt II and do that. To run the truck, switch over to batt I. I'd like to make it so I can use this truck as a camper if you know what I mean, so I'd like to have say the 'house' and the 'car' battery. But I would also like to be able to switch over to the second battery and drive away if the first is dead, and then have both of them charge. Basically I would like it to be similar to the charging system in a boat.
~KJ~

high-draw
battery
radio,
I.
would
if
like
I run dual batteries on a truck used to plow snow. Depending on the snow, it could run 8-10 hrs to get the route done. I can't remember if its a 95 or 110 amp alt but I've had no problems keeping the batteries up. Hope that helps the alt part of your question.
Denny
A friend had his '84 chevy setup on dual batteries. The second battery came out of a D9 Cat and he had it in the back of the box for weight distribution. That battery would pound the tunes all night camping, then the "little" one would fire the truck up in the morning. Or winching, or lights, what ever he wanted.

systems
batt
what
it
KJ wrote:

More than you need to know about batteries:
http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden /
I have done it for years. dual battereies charged with the regular alternater(from 65 amp old fords to 110 amp chryslers) and never a problem. just use an older ford starter solenoid for switching from one battery to the others with standard heavy battery cables. a switch is used to flip the solenoid so either battery can be used. also have a good isolater between the alternater and the batteries for charging and keeping up the batteries. draw a schematic and work it out. or later i will. john

high-draw
battery
radio,
I.
would
if
like
and you do not need a "sofisticated Control Center" just a 3 way toggle switch to swith the solenoid in or out. john

systems
batt
what

I know. I want it. Thats why I said "I want a..." not "I think I need a..."
Thanks for the ideas. I have a schematic that I just drew out for my lights that I am planning on scanning and posting just for a sanity check. Again no one will like it because it's the way I want it - but at least they should see reasons why it wont work.
~TLGM

You don't need to switch. I've seen the welding systems

high-draw
I did a dual battery setup in a '98 Chevy 1/2 ton (gas). I never found the need to isolate the extra battery. I looked in to it, and thought to just use a heavy duty diode. It will only allow current to flow one way (charge).

battery
radio,
I.
would
if
like
Another place you could look at, if you want to go heavy duty, is talk to a semi parts supplier (Freightliner, Peterbilt, Jobber....) and see what they use to isolate the Proheat (or equivenalnt) battery.

I have just always used a cheap isolator. never had a problem with 5 dual battery vehicles. john

(charge).
batt
what
they
First leave some more space in inline replies, I felt like I was reading a conversation between me and myself.

The one I saw came with a new altinator period, and from what I read by review it was highly liked on the trails.

they handle a constant

(charge).
Not going to do what I want.

battery
radio,
batt I.

what I

would
if
like
they
OK
Here is the Alt I put in my 96 C1500. I bought the 200amp model
http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/Truck/Custom_Trucks__SUVs/Chevy__GMC/chevy__gmc.html
And here is an easy to install Isolator
http://www.cardomain.com/sku/LITS200
2 optima batteries you'll be good to go