Finally they replaced the transmission

Posted previously to this NG so I thought I would bring trans surgeon and other's up to date. Past History on 2002 Silverado 1500HD 4L80E

1st transmission repaired at 20,000 KM Same transmission repaired at 32,000 KM transmission failed for the 3rd time but this time I took it to a different dealer for service. Tech. indicated that this tranny was too messed up for him to attempt any repairs. So the did a certified tranny replacement. Truck has 42,000 KM on it now.

The question that I have now is that the motor ( 6.0L ) is starting to develop quite a knock at startup and once warmed up and having it parked for approx. 1 hr. It really hammers especially going from 1st to 2nd gear.

I'm taking it back to the dealer so that there is a record of this problem before the warranty runs out. I've been informed by others that GM will not do anything to fix this problem until they are one step away from going to trial on a lawsuit.

I know there are others in the States that have found remedy for this situation and that there is probably a class action law suit starting.

Unfortunately I live in Canada and we do not have any Lemon Laws here that would give us any recourse.

If anyone has had any success with GM over this issue, I would really appreciate any help that you can give.

thanks in advance

PS

Reply to
pauls

"pauls" wrote: > Posted previously to this NG so I thought I would bring trans > surgeon > and other's up to date. > Past History on 2002 Silverado 1500HD 4L80E > 1st transmission repaired at 20,000 KM > Same transmission repaired at 32,000 KM > transmission failed for the 3rd time but this time I took it > to a > different dealer for service. Tech. indicated that this tranny > was too > messed up for him to attempt any repairs. So the did a > certified > tranny replacement. > Truck has 42,000 KM on it now. > > The question that I have now is that the motor ( 6.0L ) is > starting to > develop quite a knock at startup and once warmed up and > having it > parked for approx. 1 hr. It really hammers especially going > from 1st > to 2nd gear. > > I'm taking it back to the dealer so that there is a record of > this > problem before the warranty runs out. I've been informed by > others > that GM will not do anything to fix this problem until they > are one > step away from going to trial on a lawsuit. > > I know there are others in the States that have found remedy > for this > situation and that there is probably a class action law suit > starting. > > Unfortunately I live in Canada and we do not have any Lemon > Laws here > that would give us any recourse. > > If anyone has had any success with GM over this issue, I would > really > appreciate any help that you can give. > > thanks in advance > > PS

They will probably not replace due to knocking or oil use. If you can blow it up they would.

I know a guy who?s wife took their new Saturn in for the first oil change. They forgot to put oil in it so it was knocking like crazy by the time she got home. They checked the motor and said it did not hurt it.

Reply to
ironheaddave

Try to dump it as you will get screwed by GM

Reply to
Douglas Adams

I had the same problems with the transmission in my 2000 z71. 1st rebuild at 15k miles, 2nd at 40k, and then replaced with a certified at 41k. The bastards made me pay 50% for second, then another 50% for the certified. I was told the second rebuild was fully guaranteed for 10k miles, and when it went 1 month later, they claimed I threw it into park while moving ( an outright lie). In one month it cost me 2 grand for 2 transmissions. You can bet I won't be going back to that dealership again.

Reply to
Kevin

If you had threw it into park while moving more than likely the only thing you would have done is to snap off the Parking pawl. It would have probably still worked. It would just roll when you put it in park.. Happened to me when my son kicked it into park while doing 30 or so, it was an interesting ride. Got really familiar with the parking brake after that till I fixed it.

Reply to
Lew Pratt

why did you pay ?

the warranty should have covered it

Reply to
TranSurgeon

you should probally move to the U.S so that you can be in a class action suite and then you would have the lemon laws on your side

Reply to
Adam Frazier

Reply to
<djmcreynolds1