Headliner Adhesive

Need to put my headliner back up in my K5 and have tried it once but the damn stuff didn't work because it was hang down again the next day. Can you folks tell me of a good brand to use and where to get it? Think what I used bed\fore was permatex or something like that. Thanks for the help.

Reply to
Mark G.

Forget it. the backing is foam and it will just pull away deeper and the only solution is another headliner or go to pep boys or any good automotive and buy 3 or 4 packages of twist in headliner pins. these will hold it up and look ok(like little stars all over) john

Reply to
johnny

Yeah, I've tried that in the past with the spray adhesives, but in the Arizona heat, it just melts away and then you have goo everywhere. My next door neighbor has an old Bronco and he coated the top of the cab with spray-in bedliner coating, instead of replacing the headliner. It makes it quiet and looks pretty cool...

Reply to
Derek Schwartz

I've successfully fixed head liners. Take OUT the headliner, and remove all that disintegrating foam off. You can get some off with a scraper of sorts, then use some high grit sand paper to get the little snots off. Now get some new cloth (I used red velvet in my 88' S10, also made new sun visors because they were disintegrating too) and attach it with 3M. Make sure to put a snot load on it (enough) but not a shit load(too much).

Hope this fux you up. My current fix for my K5 however is no head liner, the ceiling is a nice smooth piece of black sheet metal, looks just fine to me....

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

. . . . Do you want it fixed right....or just decorative and off your head?

marsh ~knows a trick~

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Headliner Adhesive Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Wed, Oct 29, 2003, 7:47pm (CST+8) From: cadman snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Mark=A0G.)

Need to put my headliner back up in my K5 and have tried it once but the damn stuff didn't work because it was hang down again the next day.

Can you folks tell me of a good brand to use and where to get it? Think what I used bed\fore was permatex or something like that. Thanks for the help.

Reply to
Marsh Monster

I've tried different things over the yrs, but the best results came about in my last effort... I replaced the headliner in my '86 Silverado using DURO All-Purpose Spray Adhesive, used a toothbrush to remove the old foam, and sprayed BOTH the foam backing and the what-cha-ma-call-it that holds it up. DON'T use the 3M stuff, it sucks, and is 3 times more expensive!

Reply to
GC

Where can this DURO be had? All I know is I got "my stuff" at a craft store, and was going to try 3M next. When I first did it, it stayed up except for a very few small pockets (smaller than a palm) so I ripped it off and tried again. First I had trimmed it by now so the cloth didn't go right back on, and then within 2 days, it wasl ALL down, held only on by the edges. And I had used 2x as much glue. Either it was too much glue, or the glue doesn't glue well to it's self.

-The Lonely Grease Monkey

1985' K5 305CUI TH700R4 NP208 KJ's successor

"Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, then he who believes what is a wrong." - Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Lonely G-Monkey

Reply to
Mark G.

LGM, I got it at K-Mart... something under 5.00 for 11oz. BTW, should have added: first I removed the bulk of the old foam with an ordinary brush ([plastic bristle] tire brush, if memory serves me) then used the [firm bristle] toothbrush to get the rest off.

Reply to
GC

Patient man. I used a random orbit sander with 100grit paper

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

Mark

The key to using headliner adhesive is you got to follow the instructions on the can, I've used the 3m General Trim Adhesive for 20 years with good results on trunk trim parts, headliners, sound insulation, carpet, cloth & convertible top staypads.

I replaced the headliner in my Bonneville in July. Jo Anne Fabrics sells foam backed headliners in about 4 color choices. It was $16 for 6 feet of material. I used 2 full cans of ahesive & 3/4 of a third.

Clean off all the old dried up foam off the backer board. Blow all the dust off with an air hose if you can. You have to spray the adhesive on both surface and wait for them to dry ( about 3-5 minutes ) before bonding the two surfaces together. Using too much won't hurt but it takes longer to dry, just enough to cover both surface evenly will work

- Generally I make three passes with the spray adhesive on both surfaces.

I start at one end with the headliner rolled up then I sprayed about a

15 inch wide section of the headliner and a 15 inch wide section of the backer board. Once the two pieces become tacky , roll the headliner out a little at a time, and smooth out any wrinkles as you go along. You got to move fast though. Once the two surfaces are pressed together that's it. It sometimes helps if there are two people, especially for bigger vehicles.

Once the old foam turns to dust there's no way to glue the cloth back up.

Good Luck

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~270,000 miles_~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

The trick is, no matter how much glue you use if you don't clean it enough to eat off of it it wont stick at all, or not for long.

Other wise you can;

A: use common pins at a sharp angle to the head liner B: use "t-pins" - these are much harder to pull through the liner/work better than common pins C: go to wal-mart, pepboys, autozoned, etc and find pins made for it. They have a decorative plastic head attached to a pin that is shaped like a cork screw, and likewise screw into the head liner. D: do it right the first time, never do it again

~your choice~

-The Lonely Grease Monkey

1985' K5 305CUI TH700R4 NP208 KJ's successor

"Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, then he who believes what is a wrong." - Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Lonely G-Monkey

. . . Nov 6, 2003, 8:39pm (CST+8) From: cadman snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Mark=A0G.)

There is a sunroof up there too so I do not want to remove the headliner as it would be a real pain putting it back in. Plus the front is holding up just fine from the original stuff. Guess I will have to clean the foam with it still up.

What was your trick Marsh Monster?

Was thinking of using the Duro stuff from Kmart.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Mark, go on down to the local "builderama" store....

buy you some =BD inch wide trim strips made out of wood or plastic, the kind that you use on interior paneling to conceal the edges when you butt 2 pieces togeather. They come in

8 foot lengths. Cut the trim strips about 2 inches longer than the width of your headliner......shove em up there, sticking the ends under the trim panels on the sides to secure it. If you cut them to the right length....the natural flexing characteristic of the strips will cause them to form an arc.....keeping the headliner off yer nogg'n. The trick is to use as thin a strip as possible, and the job will look pretty good.

These things can be gotten in plastic and wood. Painted with Rustoleum to match yer interior trim panels, they look decent and are an economical alternative to using

3M spray adhesive....that isn't going to work anyways if you don't take the headliner down and get all the rotten,dry, foam off the backing board.

I have also used 1/8 wooden dowl rods from the buiderama fixit yerself place.....but they don't come in sections longer than 4ft., which makes them import specific on application.

MarshMonster ~Quick Fix Headliner Kits ......$39.95 shipped direct, treated for termites cost extry~

Reply to
Marsh Monster