Headliner Replacement

I have a 71 Super and at some point the headliner will need replacing. It's all torn up around thethe rear window. I've been reading some articles and looking at some kits and it looks like a real hassle. Has anybody done this? Is it as hard and dirty as it looks? How do you get it behind the window rubber? Right now it's tucked in behind the rubber and it looks like I'll have to take the windows out to put the headliner back in. Am I close to the truth?

Rebecca

Rebecca

Braukuche

Reply to
Ben Boyle

Major Bummer. Maybe I'll just cut the old headliner out and paint the roof with Rhinolining or paste carpet to it or something. Or just spring the cash to have it done. If there are no VW shops around, who do you trust?

basically every piece of class that is not associated

Reply to
Rebecca

Reply to
Ben Boyle

Man, after looking at your site I would think a new headliner is the least of your problems. You actually drive that? Wiring is just waiting for a melt down. Please get a couple of big fire extinguishers and keep one real handy. How about contact glueing shag or indoor/outdoor carpet to the inside roof vice a headliner.

Reply to
Wolfgang

i don't know what people are used to getting when they buy a bug, but that looks pretty typical of 25+ years of "fixes" to me....probably even has a "hard start" relay in there somewhere...

------------------- Chris Perdue

"Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug!"

Remove "PANTS" to e-mail

Reply to
Chris Perdue

She asked for help about a headliner, not your opinion of the whole car. Must you be so rude ? She's working on it herself after just getting the car so cut her some slack. And as Chris said, looks pretty much like a 25 year old car to me. I've see worse.

Susan

74 Std Betty
Reply to
Susan S.

The custom control panel is very industrious! Adapt, improvise and overcome!

Reply to
Debra Chervenka

the windows themselves or know who to have

kind of work all his life but had never done

Just don't take the old headlining out before taking it there - they will need to see the origianl to see how the new fits in.

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

It think what Wolfgang was trying to say was that maybe it would be a higher priority to replace the wiring loom, rather than the headliner.

Cosmetics can wait, safety can't!

The headlining would be one of the last jobs I would do, certainly leave it until after the car is painted.

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

Actually, I think I got a very good deal. Wiring may look like a rat's nest but it's now checked out and everything goes where it's supposed to with no breaks or frays. When I tear the dash out, I'll put in a modern fuse box and straighten everything out. I wanted to replace the headliner because it's just so torn up. And no, there is not a hard start relay in there, yet........

Reply to
Rebecca

Oops. I cleared out everything from the back window down to the seat. The luggage compartment was wet so maybe the rear window is leaking but I can't see where. Other than the carpet being damp I see no water marks, rust, stains, or anything else that would accompany a leak, so it may have just happened. I'm down to fuzzy glue metal from the battery to the window. What's the best way to get rid of that stuff anyway? Oh, it is fun, though!

either do the windows themselves or know who to have

this kind of work all his life but had never done

Reply to
Rebecca

Reply to
ilambert

Budget on a new seal set then... without it your new headliner will only get damp...

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

You can buy original looms, just take out the current wiring "system" and wire up the new one. Simple job - no need for modern fuseboxes and the like, the VW loom was good enough!

One thing I have learnt though is to NEVER trust anyone else's wiring

- having been in a friends Mini when it caught on fire due to a short, it's not something I would do again in a hurry...

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

A friend of mine is a custom upholsterer. One of the tricks is to mark the headliner stays so they can be put back in in the right order without a hassle. He says he sees it all the time and can figure it out regardless, but it costs more for his time.

I'd remove the carpet so you can see what's under it, clean up the pan and POR it. There is a lot of soundproofing material by the luggage compartment and behind the seat that soaks up odors and dampness. I took it all out and am replacing it with the usual 1" sealed-cell aircraft soundproofing. There was no need to get all the glue off. You might find the same if you use the right soundproofing material.

Reply to
jjs