Help with my Dad's truck

My Dad's pickup 1990, 1/2 ton- has a grand total of 33,000 miles on it. It just developed a engine issue. The engine will not idle- and it does not have any power when accelerating. I have ruled out EGR, PVC. I checked the cap and rotor.

Could it be the fuel filter? It has always ran great, until this recent bout.

Thanks for the advice.

Reply to
mitchrenee

Help with my Dad's truck Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Sun, Sep 3, 2006, 7:13pm (EDT-3) From: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net My Dad's pickup 1990, 1/2 ton- has a grand total of 33,000 miles on it. It just developed a engine issue. The engine will not idle- and it does not have any power when accelerating. I have ruled out EGR, PVC. I checked the cap and rotor. Could it be the fuel filter? It has always ran great, until this recent bout. Thanks for the advice. ?=BF?=BF?=BF?=BF?=BF?=BF?=BF?=BF?=BF?=BF?=BF?=BF?=BF?=BF?=BF?=BF?=BF?=BF

I have a 1990 'Burb with a 350; I had similar problem with mine and before you do any part changing, check the fuel injectors at idle to see it they're working properly then move on to the fuel filter, plugs, wires, etc..

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "Sometimes, when you're up to your butt in alligators, it's hard to remember that the intial objective was to drain the swamp." ~ Unknown ~

Reply to
Rich B

Thanks Rich- when checking the injectors- what should I be looking for- just the flow of fuel?

Thanks again

Rich B wrote:

Reply to
mitchrenee

Re: Help with my Dad's truck Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Tue, Sep 5, 2006, 7:20am (EDT-3) From: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net Thanks Rich- when checking the injectors- what should I be looking for- just the flow of fuel? Thanks again Rich B wrote: Help with my Dad's truck Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Sun, Sep 3, 2006, 7:13pm (EDT-3) From: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net My Dad's pickup 1990, 1/2 ton- has a grand total of 33,000 miles on it. It just developed a engine issue. The engine will not idle- and it does not have any power when accelerating. I have ruled out EGR, PVC. I checked the cap and rotor. Could it be the fuel filter? It has always ran great, until this recent bout. Thanks for the advice. ?=BF?=BF?=BF?=BF?=BF?=BF?=BF?=BF?=BF?=BF?=BF?=BF?=BF?=BF?=BF?=BF?=BF?=BF I have a 1990 'Burb with a 350; I had similar problem with mine and before you do any part changing, check the fuel injectors at idle to see it they're working properly then move on to the fuel filter, plugs, wires, etc.. %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "Sometimes, when you're up to your butt in alligators, it's hard to remember that the intial objective was to drain the swamp." ~ Unknown ~

?=BF?=BF?=BF?=BF?=BF?=BF?=BF?=BF?=BF?=BF?=BF?=BF?=BF?=BF?=BF?=BF?=BF?=BF

Check to see if you have a nice spray pattern and if both injectors seem to be spraying about the same. In my case, I had one injector that had stopped working altogether so it was easy to spot. My one injector had been giving me problems, intermitently, for months before dying. If you have a broken pattern, it could be dirt in the injector and you can't (and shouldn't) take them apart. But, you should definately eliminate the injectors as a possible cause before doing anything else and if they'r okay, change the fuel filter (based on time because it probably needs it). If I'm not sure where to start on a problem, I start checking the cheapest and easiest thing to fix and then move on to the more expensive/complicated stuff. Often, something just needs cleaned or tightened to fix the problem.