Incomplete Dif. Upgrade

Hello, My right rear wheel bearings needed replaced, so I started that project tonight. I drive a '94 Chevy K1500. As I found myself in the middle of the
project, it required opening up the diff. cover, removing the retaining clip on the axle, and pulling the axel out. I decided that maybe while I had the diff. pulled apart this far, I probably should do the wheel bearing on the other side. Then I thought about it some more and decided maybe this would also be a good time to change my axle ratio from 3.08:1 to 4.1:1. So.... I left my truck mostly disassembled for the night.
I don't want to change my front diff. just yet, due to $$ constraints (I'm only thinking of doing the rear since I have it pulled apart right now, and really don't want to do this all again). I know that it should be ok to drive the truck as long as I don't use 4 wheel drive.
Now, my question...
As a safety precaution... is it OK to pull the front drive shaft, and run without it until I can go ahead and change the gearing in the front diff. (probably October)?
Thanks! NW

the
clip
the
would
and
Yes.
FWIW: I drove for three years with two different gear ratios, 3.55 front and 4.56 rear. I did use the 4x4 from time to time, I just made a point of not using it till I really needed it. In soft sand or mud there's not enough traction to cause any binding so I never broke anything.
But I was glad when I regeared the front to match the back.
Sean

project
of
retaining
had
now,
It is quite fine to remove the front driveshaft. I am doing this on my '97 Suburban. I had it regeared to 4:11. Makes one fine pulling machine and only cut gas mileage by less than 1 mpg on hway. and actually increased mileage in city. Make sure you have proper tools to set pinion depth and backlash. It you don't, you will spend a lot more money getting it fixed right with the next set of gears real soon.
Just my 2 pennies, Robbie.

ridiculous,
myself.
Depends on the shop, and who picks up the parts. I sourced all the parts, and the shop did the job for $200. I've been running them for seven years now, so I guess they did a good job.
3.08 with a 4.3L? Ouch!
Sean