1983 Rear Dif.

Pro and cons of a spool in the rear dif on a 1983 GMC 4X4 with Manual lock-outs on front axle

Reply to
Digit

Only pro is that it is one piece. Locker is a MUCH better way to go regardless of use.

Reply to
Steve W.

A Spool solidly locks the axle shafts togther. Make a turn on a hard surface over 1 mph, and you will break parts. Having FRONT axle lock-outs has no effect on the rear axle.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Never use a spool for a daily driver. Your just asking for trouble.

Reply to
Bill

I wouldn't use it for daily driver. I had one in a Camaro that I drove on the street, it had 5:43 gears with a 9" summers bros 35 spline. Never broke anything, but when going up entrance and exit ramps from highways it would wind up then break the back end loose. Did a little stock car driving so I new what to expect, but it could be very disastrous. Go with a good posi... or locker. or check into the airlock dif's to see if it's available for that truck.

Reply to
hipcheck