Manual vs. Auto Locking Hubs

Page 1 of 2
Hi All,
Can I convert my manual locking hubs to automatic without a kit? Maybe by going to the junk yard and puchasing auto locking hubs from a truck
of the same frame and year?
Thanks. Jake
What year of truck???

Sorry, it's an 87 3/4 ton.
Shades wrote:

Yes you can. Just make sure to disassemble them and clean them thoroughly and reassemble them with no lube.

There's no vacuum lines to connect or some kind of solenoid to run a new wire for?
Admittedly, I only want the convenience of not having to lock the hubs in myself; is there an advantage manual hubs have over auto?
Shades wrote:

yes
manual hubs work in reverse..........................
Auto hubs DO work in reverse...they are actuated off of pressure, NOT direction! Forward or reverse, they DO work if everything is clean and functioning. The advantage of manual hubs is that there is no question when they are locked and unlocked. Auto hubs got a bad rap when they get wheel bearing grease in them and hang-up either locked or unlocked. I like manual hubs for warmer weather when I am going to be doing allot of hard off-roading and auto hubs for winter weather(I live in NW Iowa) when I just don't want to get out in the cold and usually only might need them for 100ft...getting out of the driveway, getting someone unstuck, etc...
It ALL comes down to personal preference...and the fact that auto hubs DO require at least a once a year cleaning.

really
then why does the manual tell you to back up to disengage them ?
"Shades" <shades_1970(at)netins(dot)net> wrote in message

Transfer case in neutral!!! If its in neutral there is no load from the front axles to the hubs. I have run auto hubs for years and I KNOW they work in reverse! So do many people I have known over the years.
And by the way, you can unlock them by going forward to with little trouble...and going 60MPH!

look, Braniac
if they 'unlock under no-load', they cannot work both forward and backwards
one or the other direction will make them unlock
think about it
"Shades" <shades_1970(at)netins(dot)net> wrote in message

WOW, after all this time reading your awesome posts in this NG your true maturity comes out.
They work no matter what your inexperienced, uneducated opinion about them might be. I and millions have used them over the years and for years and THEY WORK! Forward AND backward because they are actuated by load! The ONLY reason they have a bad name is because they don't work when dirty and/or greasy.
Complain and belittle all you want, it wont change the facts!
Have a nice day!

Since you trade them out frequently, are they pretty simple to install?
Shades wrote:

With an allen wrench and snap-ring pliers for outer rings, its about a 15-20min job.

Thanks for the advise, sorry this thread turned ugly.
Shades wrote:

Yea, me too. Trans might have just been having a bad week. He is a very knowledgable guy. I must have struck a nerve...

I think I'm with Shades on this. Manual for the warmer weather and harder driving. Auto in the cold for the convenience. When I switch them out I can clean and maintain one set while the other set is on. I'm also looking forward to seeing first hand how they come apart and fit back together.
Now, to find a good set at the junk yard. How much should they cost??
Shades wrote:

I wouldn't pay any more than $50 for a good pair...make sure you get EVERYTHING! Also, make sure you test them immediately and that they will take them back if they don't work! Get stainless steel hardware to use for ease of removal.

I found that new manual hubs are almost as cheap ($65-85) as used ones ($55-80) if you catch them on sale, depending on brand, etc. Then you get instructions and a warranty.
Jake292 wrote:

I have to agree with Shades.My auto hubs shift in and out with the lever in the floor.Bobby
"Jacob J. Hall" wrote: > Hi All, > > Can I convert my manual locking hubs to automatic without a > kit? Maybe > by going to the junk yard and puchasing auto locking hubs from > a truck > of the same frame and year? > > Thanks. > Jake
What do you use the 4WD for - snow covered roads - off roading. Theres nuthing worse than catching a piece of brush, having the vacume line damaged or detached and losing your 4wd on the trail. If you use the truck for off road I strongly recomemd manual hubs, you might have to get out and lock them (or as i do make the passenger do it) but at least you know it will be there when you need it.
Mark