auto hubs and manual hubs - how can you tell?

still shopping for my Tacoma. looking at cars on cars.com etc and you get lots of pictures but it's hard to tell who's got manual hubs and who's got auto hubs. can you tell by looking? if so how?

mark

Reply to
Mark

I don't think Toyota put manual hubs on any new USA spec 4x4 vehicle or anything from the last few years.

If you're looking at older models, look at the hub itself. Manual hubs have rotary switch in the outside end with a small arrow. The arrow can me moved to two positions, "LOCK" and "FREE".

Automatic hubs are smooth on the end.

Here is a photo of a typical manual locking hub:

Any manual hub will look very similar, regardless of brand. On older vehicles, manual hubs aren't THAT bad, you can always leave them locked during snowstorms, or lock them shortly before you leave the pavement. You don't have to wait for ankle deep mud to get out and lock the hubs.

That said, automatic hubs are a great improvement, and I say that as a guy who refuses to buy automatic transmissions.

Have fun!

Reply to
Bonehenge

I have to agree that there probably isnt a vehicle sold with manual hubs.

Auto hubs are fine, except that some of the older and most lilely newer Toy auto hubs only disconnect ONE driveshaft and the other spins in the diff (does not spin the diff which most poeple misunderstand).

I had manual hubs put on my auto hubbed 4Runner and the auto hub deactivated. I am an mechanical only no auto guy ;)

Even if you have auto hubs you can add manual hubs. That way you can i.e. use low gears for backing trailers and such. Also you can unlock the manuals in summer and lock them when you anticipate slushe terrain. then the autos will engage when you go in 4WD.

Anyways .. auto anything will break or malfunction sooner or later thats why its gone from my truck.

Matt