need advise on exhaust routing

Hi everyone 90 k1500 stepside. I decided to run dual exhaust with full headers, cats, flowmasters etc. The problem is on the driver side. I got the headers in with no problem, but there doesn't seem to be enough
room to get around the gas tank. Has anyone done this and how did you deal with getting around the gas tank. I guess I should have checked this out better before I started this, but now I'm kinda past the point of no return. Any advise greatly appreciated. thanks, Chris
I think they both get routed down the passenger side away from the tank.
--
remove one of the @'s unless you are a spammer.
"Chris M" < snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net> wrote in message
both pipes go down the right side and one crosses back over behind the tank, you can buy the tail pipes pre bent and you might find the front pipes but you'll probably have to get them made since your using headers. i modified my y pipe on my 89 chevy to run true duals with stock manifolds.
Guess it will be a trip to an exhaust shop then. Was hoping that Hooker made a crossover pipe for this application, but so far, have not heard back from them. thanks, Chris

On Sat, 06 May 2006 05:47:27 GMT, "Chris M"

Quite honestly you would be better off with a custom 3 inch or bigger y pipe feeding in a single large pipe then into a 1 in 2 out muffler for duals. It will flow quite well and have better low end torque and responce than true duals. There is a lot of misconseptiion out there on headers and dual exhaust of daily drivers. Be prepared for a loss in in town MPG. ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com
SnoMan...most of my customers that install headers or come in for duals, aren't looking for improved MPG..Besides two into one into two, sounds like sh*t...i can see how 2 into 1 would be OK with manifolds...but if have headers, hi flow cats and a 3" y pipe how are you gaining anything by stuffing it into a single pipe\.. besides when was the last you saw a 3" or bigger y pipe for sale for a 1990 chevy truck...with headers..... i tried three exhaust systems on my 89 Chevy,...hi flow 2-1 ( 3' single-no cats-glass-pack muffler and a straight 2 3/4 tailpipe) i tried 2 into 1 into 2 ...and then went true duals, no cats, 2 1/2 front to back and crisscrossed the pipes to keep them equal lengths with 2 glass-pack mufflers with no loss in MPG( it still sucked), good low end torque, and very good mid-range power.. the only thing I've changed was i dumped the glass-packs for a more civilized turbo style muffler..... i think what your saying may be true with a newer engine but an old tbi is not much more advanced than carb engine.
stuff it, squish it,burn it, and get rid of it
I was doing more homework and found Hooker actually makes a kit with everything I need to complete this install(minus mufflers and cats). Ordered it this morning and hopefully it will go well. thanks everyone, Chris

On 8 May 2006 18:52:50 -0700, "redeye-racing"

I cannot help it if most of your customers are miss informed and you profit from this. Duals are greatly over rated on modern street 4x4's. You can get a LOT of flow through a properly sized single and better responce and MPG in town too. Since it really is all about performance why not do it right instead on halfa##? Been meesing with 4x4 for over 30 years and I would NEVER put true duals on a 4x4 unless it had a big block as they tend to respond well to duals while small blocks genrally do not. Another thing, newer trucks are tuned for intake to exhaust and you just do not start cutting anf hacking on them without getting your duck in a row as you can make things worse and make your power gain more a state of mind than reality. ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com
hey snojob.. wrote >cannot help it if most of your customers are miss informed and you profit from this. Duals are greatly over rated on modern street 4x4's that sounds like a personal attack...that would be highly unprofessional now wouldn't it? now, if single exhaust is so much better, than why did so many small blck muscle cars roll off the line with duals? why did some camperspecials come with duals? why did my 1978 chev van with a small block 400 come factory with duals? why did almost anything built for power, before the "smog wars", come with duals?why did hooker headers put out a smallblock header dual kit and not a smallblock header to single exhaust kit?...because that's what people want...and just because you've been"messing" with 4x4s over 30 years that doesn't mean we should all cut off our duals.i think hooker has better test results than you...you have your results and opinions and i have mine..we are not not ever going to agree on the performance aspect.. i strongly disagree with you, based on what i've done and what i've seen, i have played with exhaust, duals and singles, on customer's cars, freind's cars, drag cars, stock cars and my own stuff...and i've had alot of stuff, trans ams, firebirds, a 5L mustang many other sport coupes, 1/2 dozen trucks and 4x4s, couple of k5 blazers, vans.SUVs and almost every one of them had some exhaust tweaking as far as i'm concerned, single into duals are the half assed way of doing it...i will install them if they don't have the cash for true duals or if they don't want to be too loud, but it's not my preference.But at the end of the day, what i want isn't important..i only suggest what i think will work good, show the options and let them decide... besides the question here was " how do i finish my dual exhaust" and not how much better YOU think single exhaust is! as for "hacking" on new er trucks..i'll leave that backyarders and weekend warriors..i do clean professional work, and that's all! you say people are miss informed and that the power gains are more a state of mind, but i'd rather have my truck sound good and perform the way I want it to, than pay money for something done not the way i want, but has a 5% increase of torque i may never notice.. it may only be a state of mind, but if you are happy with your investment and its the way you want it, there"s nothing more important that that... I don't hack up trucks, and i don't make things worse....i research what i do and look into the possible problems that could arise..i ask those who really know and talk to those who have done....i never enter into anything blind...yes newer trucks are tuned..... but for reliability, efficiency and low emissions, not performance. there is still some room to play...
redeye-racing