Need advise from Wrangler Pros

I'm about to get my income tax return and plan to blow it on my '02 Wrangler. For starters I need to get new tires and have decided on keeping my factory wheels and going one size up to 31x10.5 15, which I understand is the largest tire that will fit those rims??? (will they rub??)

I also want to replace the factory shocks with some new Rancho RSX or RS5000 (* Buy 3 get 1 free*, which is better?) and possibly a Rancho steering stabilizer. I want to do this to get a nicer ride while on the road.

What I really need help with is deciding on whether I need a body lift ( 2") or will I be OK without it. I cant afford to get a suspension lift. (at least for this year) Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Phinz
1) Why an 02? Or do you already have the particular vehicle chosen? 2) 31x10.5's should be fine, but you may have to adjust the steering stops to reduce the turn radius a bit. 3) Stay away from the RS5000 (and probably the RSX's too). Stiff shock, doubt you'll be happy with the ride. And, no need for the stabilizer... that's over-kill with 31's. 4) Body lift... d>I'm about to get my income tax return and plan to blow it on my '02
Reply to
David C. Moller

I'll second everything Dave said. I'm very happy with my Rubicon Express 2" budget boost... about $200 and pretty easy to install. Much more stable than a body lift.

Reply to
Ichabod Shagnasti

Possibly, but not much. If they rub on the control arms you simply need to add a washer or two behind the steering stops. If you rub at full stuff you need a little more lift (or more bumpstop). The 2" spacer (see below) would eliminate that problem.

I would not do more than a 1" body lift. Ever. You would be better off IMO with a spacer lift until the time you can afford a full suspension lift.

Suggestion (it has worked for me so far) - get a good picture in your mind of what you want your rig to be like a year from now, 5 years, 10 years, etc. Build with the future in mind, not just what you can do today. You may have to wait for the goodies, but you will build a better trail rig - that is, if thats what you want it to be.

I have always wanted mine lifted, locked, loaded, caged, 5pt harness, 35" tires, Atlas, winch, etc. Well, one step at a time I am getting there. the 36" tires should go on in a week or so, the Atlas has to wait another year or two since the $ I saved for that went towards the new engine after the roll. The new seats and harnesses will come after the atlas and at the same time, the rest of the cage will go in. Most of the rest has been slowly built up in in the last 5 years.

In otherwords, know where you are going and build a roadmap to get there.

Reply to
jbjeep

I already have an '02. What shocks would you suggest instead of the Ranchos?

Reply to
Phinz

OME have an excellent reputation, as do Doetch Tech DT-3000 shocks for less than half the cost of the OME shocks. Bilstein has good shocks for TJs too but you have to make sure they are the models SPECIFICALLY valved for the TJ or you'll just get their regular gas-charged shocks which are generally too stiff. I agree that the Rancho R5000 and RSX shocks are not a good choice, neither is ProComp's ES-3000 which is as stiff as the R5000 is.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

I run a 2 inch coil spacer lift, 32 inch BFGs, AR 767 (cheapo black ones) 15x8 rims with 4 inch backspace, and only hit flares at full stuff, did not have to adjust my steering stops at all, and already bought Rancho RSXs for all four corners...have yet to put them on, will post when I do, let everyone know how they ride, though it sounds like they are stiff...but I am young and don't care yet! And never, ever do a body lift more than 1 inch, for so many reasons I am not even going to start listing them. Just think about what a body lift does for your jeep, with physics in mind, and you suddenly won't want one anymore. Although 1 inch won't hurt...much. And BTW I got the coil spacers for all four corners on EBay for $65.

Reply to
Joseph P

Good suggestions... I'll add Edelbrock Performer IAS shocks to the list since that's what I run (and am happy with them). Pricey sons a guns though hehehehe.

Dave

Reply to
David C. Moller