Need some advise on replacing struts on SL2

I have changed a dozen pair or so of front struts over the past 10 years. Well I decided to let the local front end shop do the job since I am no longer crazy about messing around with a loaded spring bomb!

I decided against the local shop doing the job when the NEW OWNER came up with a price of $400+ for just two front Monroe Sensatracs installed with an alignment! Price will be additional $140 if bearing plates are needed! I have been sending my front end work/alignment work there for over 20 years. That may change.

Anyway, I decided to get some info to do this job myself. I have access to all the tools for the job. Now I am getting all kinds of stories on what parts I will need to do the job on my '92 SL2.

Obviously I need the 2 struts. Then I am told to buy 2 boot kits. Then Monroe's website suggest that I purchase 2 lower installation kits. The guy at Advanced Auto Parts suggest that I also purchase 2 bearing plates...

I doubt I am going for the bearing plates until I check them... but what about the boot kits and lower installation kits? Anyone done this job with any suggestions?

Thanks, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
James1549

Hey,

I am just about to change the struts on my 97 SL1 and I can add just a few comments based on my experience so far.

Replacing the strut mount / bearing plates: Check the following thread:

Especially the picture provided by Lane:
About the pricing: I'm in Ottawa, ON, Canada and got quotes in the area and over the web (Tirerack and places in British Columbia). I found a 2:1 ratio in pricing of the exact same Senstrac struts 71924 (88$ to 191$CAN). For the strut mounts, it was even worse, Monroe part 901950 came in between 22$ and 120$CAN. I also can find KYB GR-2 struts for just about the same price as the Monroe.

I have been looking to get feedback by others as to wheter or not a bearing plate is an item that has to be carefully selected, like the strut, and see if people out there had a brad name preference but I found very just about nothing.

Going with my gut feeling, I will but KYB struts and bearing plates.

Let us know what you do.

Frank

97SL1 110,000Mi

Reply to