routing

Greetings One and All

Prey tell, what is the prescribed method for routing electricky to the outside - well I guess the route to front bumper is fairly straight forward, but what do folks do to get the juice to the roof?

Thanks for reading.

Reply to
William Tasso

William Tasso came up with the following;:

?

For what?

I presume for CB, spotlights or similar?

If so a suitably sized cable works for me ... generally routed under carpets, behind fittings and under headlining as far as possible then out through either a hole and grommet (suitably waterproofed) for a permanent fitting, or through a door and taped flat as poss.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Dang, got all excited that this was an OT ciscoesque question then

Seem to recall someone on here running a piece of ally up the front pillar to hide the cable run on the outside for a roof bar - have a look in the archives for 2003 I think - Colin Batchelor was the instigator of the thread

Si

Reply to
GrnOval

Is there any reason not to use a snorkel, if one is fitted? Into the snorkel in the engine bay (suitably sealed) and out through a hole near the top. This would avoid any holes in bodywork, but still puts the cable where it is needed.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

LOL - me too, especially as I'm currently trying to decide which one to get for the "comms cupboard" in our new house (I've already got the Cat5 installation planned as I will be re-wiring the entire house anyway!)

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

heh hee - knowing that many folks in here are from a tech backgfround I knew that would get some :)

You do of course mean Cat5e, I hope. May as well run in a few co-ax for video feeds while you're at it.

Reply to
William Tasso

: Is there any reason not to use a snorkel, if one is fitted? Into the : snorkel in the engine bay (suitably sealed) and out through a hole near the : top. This would avoid any holes in bodywork, but still puts the cable where : it is needed. : : -- : Rich

That was the solution I was recalling - also recalled the poster - Paul S Brown

Si

Reply to
GrnOval

Of course!

May as well run in a few co-ax for

Already in hand my friend! :-) :-)

It's going to be a 150 year old house with more wiring than the space shuttle!!

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

"Matthew Maddock" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com... :> You do of course mean Cat5e, I hope. : : Of course! : : May as well run in a few co-ax for : > video feeds while you're at it. : : Already in hand my friend! :-) :-) : : It's going to be a 150 year old house with more wiring : than the space shuttle!!

I'm just being terribly impressed with my Netgear wireless bits at the moment - if you want to bridge to say the garage, but SWMBO has decreed no holes or unsightly wires, can I commend the Netgear WGPS606 print server, dont bother connecting a printer to it, the for 10/100's are just fine for a localised bit of wired network in the garage and a wireless bridge back to the command centre.

ahem - i'll get my coat

Si

Reply to
GrnOval

Well, I had two thoughts - aside from completely discounting the wire through the door bodge.

First is to use the hole and grommet method (as suggested by Paul) but I seriously wonder about waterproofing such a thing, Second, it occured to me I could run a piece of 20mm pipe (plastic would probably do) up from the wing in parallel with (and in front of) the window/door frame.

Reply to
William Tasso

Yeah, I've always liked Netgear as "home user" stuff - seems to be well built and reliable - and even my Dad managed to follow their instructions to install wireless broadband!! [Tho as default it does leave it wide open - not that I would ever take advantage of that by parking in a random street and connecting to the Internet for free using WiFi on my laptop rather than GPRS!]

Will probably put some sort of wireless in place to cover the outside spaces, but you just can't beat a cable for sheer brute force when it comes to transferring lots of data, plus I can wire it all up so I can put data and/or telephone down the same piece of cable (not strictly standard I know - but hey, it's my house so I'll do what I want!)

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

If I was cabling I'd *look* at Cat6 over Cat5e and possibly the odd bit of dark fibre from say the comms cupboard to office.

CT100 at least. Cable is cheap, installing it isn't.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

/aol

no kidding - wireless is still a toy in comparison.

perfectly acceptable within the spec - but as you're starting from scratch, I'd be inclined to run in more than one cable to every location. makes life much simpler when it comes to moves and changes later.

Reply to
William Tasso

Having just had to resuscitate a 2600 series with ROMmon this isn't funny.

Three goes, getting the right guess at the IOS it may originally have had - even cranking the baud with confreg led to >1 hour Xmodem IOS installs.

I 'kin love customers who let their feckwitted stoned student son p!ss around with their business critical systems - no, I really _do_ love them - as we have their credit card number and they agree to pay not only my time, but an id-IOt interface error tax too.

See:

for full diagnostic details...

Reply to
Mother

Oh yes, and the cretin had also decided to swap the 2.2K UPS on their server and the 1K UPS on their router around. When I asked him why, he replied that "the bigger UPS should be on the router for longer uptime in the event of an outage to maintain connectivity to their server".

My response of "But, your server will die quicker won't it?"

was met by a smarmy "oh yes, and why will it?"

"Because it uses twice the amount of power than the router?".

At this point the customer ushers his stoned student son out of the room and asks me if I'd like another coffee?

"Not if you're sending him for it I don't" - was my polite reply.

They offered, I agreed - 600 quid (+VAT) for 4 hours work - all not at all necessary, but a lesson they'll remember.

Reply to
Mother

Please let him be Comp Sci and mor Elec Eng student....

Steve

Reply to
steve

I passed my tolerance level for problems caused by the terminally dimwitted the other day, and told the CEO of my largest client that he could stick his service agreement wherever he wanted and that I was off to find a new client with less nepotism, fewer fuckwits and less stress.

The response was great - they now pay me 10% more per hour and their two biggest problems will be collecting their final pay cheques (with included f****it cards) at the end of July.

Reply to
EMB

You want to come and renegotiate my charges for me? I'll pay you an ongoing commission if you do a decent job of it. :-)

Reply to
EMB

Talking of which (UPS) and straying even further off-topic....

I need a UPS - wants to be rack-mounted and deliver 4-6 amps for about

10-20 minutes. Need the type where all power is routed through rather than the cut-in jobbies.

any thoughts?

Reply to
William Tasso

William, I'd be looking at APC - not the cheapest, but for an inline UPS the quality is there, and better still their sales people tell you the truth, not just whatever it is you want to hear. They were very slow to realise the need for rack mounted gear but over here, at least, they've caught up to the Taiwanese/ Chinese cheapies in terms of features. Expect to pay twice the price of those. HTH

Karen

Reply to
Karen Gallagher