Oil Change Message

I know that the oil change message that shows up on the drivers information panel is based on a lot of variable data, such as time since last reset,
engine temperatures, rpm's, miles driven at sustained speeds, etc, etc. But I was wondering at what miles people generally see the change oil message? I have a 2006 Chevy 4x4 with the 5.3 liter aluminum motor. I changed the oil and filter initially at 2,500 miles and at that time reset the oil change message, it was not on at that time. I now have around 5,500 miles and was just curious as to when it may come on. This is my first vehicle with the feature so I'm just a little curious about it and don't want to put to much faith in it just yet. I may just stick to every 3,000 miles like I have in the past.
Thanks, Brian

7,500 and 10,000 miles. You can change it every 3,000 miles if you want, the oil change places/suppliers will love you for it!
Ron
Ron Recer wrote:

same time and reset the counter and have never had the change message come up yet. I've been busy the last couple months and haven't gotten around to changing it yet and am nearing 10k on this oil and the message hasn't come on yet. I'm going to run to sams club next weekend and get another case of mobile 1 and change it then.
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------060306040507060406080404 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
my '05 Colorado 5 Cyl says change oil every 3k miles
Eugene wrote:

--------------060306040507060406080404--
The manual for my '06 Duramax HO says to change oil whenever the driver information center says 'change oil soon'. In the manual there is no mention of any mileage level in regard to oil changes.
Ron
</PRE> <BLOCKQUOTE type="cite"><PRE wrap="">I know that the oil change message that shows up on the drivers information panel is based on a lot of variable data, such as time since last reset, engine temperatures, rpm's, miles driven at sustained speeds, etc, etc. But I was wondering at what miles people generally see the change oil message? I have a 2006 Chevy 4x4 with the 5.3 liter aluminum motor. I changed the oil and filter initially at 2,500 miles and at that time reset the oil change message, it was not on at that time. I now have around 5,500 miles and was just curious as to when it may come on. This is my first vehicle with the feature so I'm just a little curious about it and don't want to put to much faith in it just yet. I may just stick to every 3,000 miles like I have in the past.
Thanks, Brian </PRE></BLOCKQUOTE><PRE wrap="">You probably won't see the 'change oil soon' message until somewhere between 7,500 and 10,000 miles. You can change it every 3,000 miles if you want, the oil change places/suppliers will love you for it!
Ron </PRE></BLOCKQUOTE><PRE wrap=""><!---->I typically change every 6000 miles and grease and rotate the tires at the same time and reset the counter and have never had the change message come up yet. I've been busy the last couple months and haven't gotten around to changing it yet and am nearing 10k on this oil and the message hasn't come on yet. I'm going to run to sams club next weekend and get another case of mobile 1 and change it then.
</PRE></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
Frank S. wrote:

My shampoo bottle says "lather hair, rinse, repeat". People that change every 3k are nuts. Oil companies have brain washed us all.

diablo wrote:

I've been averaging around 7000 miles, first with a 2002 Tahoe 4x4 LS, and now a 2006 Trailblazer 4x4 LS. I am fast approaching the 21000 mile mark and expect it to come on anytime now.
--
John

2004 Colorado I5 auto crew-cab Z71 My trips are never less than 25km ( 16 miles) so, I went a whole year before changing the oil. Even then the "change oil" message hadn't displayed. I use 5W30 Mobile One Synthetic. If your trips are usually short, you will see the message displayed sooner.
John