Oil Change Message

I know that the oil change message that shows up on the drivers information panel is based on a lot of variable data, such as time since last reset, engine temperatures, rpm's, miles driven at sustained speeds, etc, etc. But I was wondering at what miles people generally see the change oil message? I have a 2006 Chevy 4x4 with the 5.3 liter aluminum motor. I changed the oil and filter initially at 2,500 miles and at that time reset the oil change message, it was not on at that time. I now have around 5,500 miles and was just curious as to when it may come on. This is my first vehicle with the feature so I'm just a little curious about it and don't want to put to much faith in it just yet. I may just stick to every 3,000 miles like I have in the past.

Thanks, Brian

Reply to
diablo

I have 6200 since last change and the DIC says I have 8% oil life left.

Reply to
calhoun

Yours has the more advanced DIC option, mine simply will tell me when it's time. I don't have the ability to see average gas mileage, oil life left, etcetera.

Thanks, Brian

Reply to
diablo

On my 04 it lasts until about 7500 miles. I always use Mobil 1 so that is fine with me.

Reply to
Sigwings

I've been averaging around 7000 miles, first with a 2002 Tahoe 4x4 LS, and now a 2006 Trailblazer 4x4 LS. I am fast approaching the 21000 mile mark and expect it to come on anytime now.

-- John

Reply to
John

I also just buy a case of Moble1 from Costco for my Oil changes. I get around 7,000 between changes I guess. Most of my driving is In town. I think every 3,000 is just a big waste and more of a Marketing thing to make more money from suckers. Since I'm more then doubling that, I just use the full Synthetic of Moble1 even though I should be just fine with Normal good oil.

Reply to
JBDragon

I have both the kind that says the percentage and the kind that just comes on when it is time. I usually get right at 8000 miles between changes. That is towing a boat (3500 lbs) sometimes, towing a 7500 lb RV and mostly just local driving in HOT south Texas.

JAW

Reply to
JAW

My opinions, based on my experiances over 25 years cranking wrenches for a living and even longer driving Oil is cheap, engines and vehicles are expensive. In town short hauls, stop and go is the worst on an engine, its why the manufactures call it severe duty. But what do they know? I am not happy if I get less then 300K out of an engine. And I don't baby them. The short haul vehicle (recently delegated to that role as at 270K and only

17/ 22mpg , I figured it deserved an easier life, or at least my wallet did) gets 3K oil changes, the work vehicle spends most of its time on the highway( 43K last year between April when I bought it and January 1st) at constant speed so it gets 5k oil changes. Oil doesn't go bad unless you severely over heat it. It gets contaminated and dirty. If vehicles had a bigger crankcase, longer would not be an issue, but 4-5 quarts....remote oil filters and cooler might add 2 more, but how much of that extra doesn't drain out on a change? Figuring the average driver drives 12k a year, its what $120 for 4 oil changes? And that's a high estimate, I get mine done at the dealer for $20, so it would be $80. It isn't worth the effort to drag out ramps or jack and stands, crawl under to drain and change a filter, and then take the oil somewhere to get rid of it. If it had zerks all over, then my opinion would be different, as to often the difficult to reach ones got missed, but that isn't the case today. And a hungry tech gives it a better going over on a lift then I could on the ground. Course it helps to have a good rapport with the shop you use.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I don't drive much. I live close to work, so I haven't put on 20,000 miles on my 03 Chevy Silverado yet! So that's around 6,000 a year or so I'm even putting on my truck. I Average 1 Oil change a year. I just buy a case of Mobil1 and a good filter and I'm pretty much set. Cost about $30 for the change for the year. Maybe I squeeze in 2 for the year, so $60. I use the good Oil and change when it tells me to. I have access to a lift any time I need one to do it, and no problems getting rid of the old oil. My truck doesn't have any oil leaks, doesn't burn oil, not enough to notice on the dip stick. Still says full. Nothing like the Oil leaking Engine in my old

77 Chevy I got rid off and from what I heard, it was a good thing. I keep everything Maintained as required. I don't cheap out on things. I do need to rotate and balance my tires though. Tires almost need to be replaced. (Not stock, 20" H rated).

Reply to
JBDragon

The greatest waste of oil in the world is the 3000 mile oil change It has made many oil company rich.

information

Reply to
SLLD

Yep, they clean it up again and then Resell it.

Reply to
JBDragon