Oil leak from left front output shaft 92 k1500

Looks like a good oil leak from my left output shaft, right at the union with the case, although I must clean it up a little better and get a really good look as it is throwing oil everywhere. I am 90% sure this is where the leak is as I had to put 1 qt fluid in the front case. Can anyone tell my how tough a job this is? Will I have to pull the front case to replace this seal or can the output shaft be removed by disconnecting the outer shaft? Clearance? Tools? I do not own a compressor unfortunately. Or should I just let it leak and refill in the winter??

Thanks, JRE

Reply to
Mastermech

If you're talking about the front axle leaking, this is what I'e learned:

they all do it... it's not worth fixing.. just keep topping it off.

if you're dead set on fixing it... getting the axle out of the truck isn't that bad ( or it wasn't that bad when I did it a couple of weeks ago, but I had a lift and air tools)... I'd not attempt it lying on my back in the driveway. my seals weep a little on my '88 K2500 and I just pull the fill plug at every oil change.

hth, Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Mastermech wrote

If you want to do the job, it's not that difficult. You can do the left side without removing the entire axle. The trick is to move the wheels all the way to the left position, remove the four bolts that hold the sway bar to the frame (not the link that holds it to the lower control arm), remove your 6 bolts that hold the outer axle shaft to the inner axle shaft....then, you can pry the sway bar forward just enough to get the outer axle shaft around the inner axle shaft. At this point, you can just smack the inner shaft and it will pop out (maybe, I'll discuss that in a bit). Sometimes, it will interfere on the frame, you then remove the top bolt that holds the front diff up in the frame, and loosen the bottom left side bolt. This allows the front diff to drop just enough to get the shaft out.

On an older vehicle like yours...often, the retaining clip on the left side shaft gets all buggered up inside, and you can bang away on that shaft all day long and it won't come out. If you cannot get the shaft out with a few good smacks with a good size hammer, forget about fixing the leak that day. The only way to get the shaft out at this point is to cut the flange off so that you can separate the case halves and pull the stub out. Pretty nasty job. And it will cost you a few dollars.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Sounds good until you get to the last little "buggered" up part, hehe. I just might attempt it as you say when I get a chance. I Topped it off about a month ago it was down over a quart, and seem to be leaking at a good rate by the mess it makes in my driveway. Should I worry about the case running dry during the summer months when I am not using the 4 Wheel drive?

Thanks I will post back the results when I attempt it. JRE

Reply to
Mastermech

Just like to say hanks for the replies. Changed out that seal the other day. Piece of cake. Almost. Thanks JRE

Reply to
Mastermech