Professional advice needed removing pitman arm

Page 1 of 2
I'm removing the pitman arm on a 1988 Chevy 1/2 ton, 4X4, 5.0 liter. I've removed the rod side but I can't get it off the steering box. I can't get
a puller on it because the frame is right in the way. I pounded and pounded on a pickle fork to no avail. Do I have to remove the steering box? If so, it looks like I have to remove the fender too, right? Is there any harm in using a pickle fork? I'm thinking of tapering the pickle fork a bit to get more friction and leverage.
Thanks for your help!
Dan

pickle
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' Seems you need a different puller. Probably the one with a "cup" on it. Dont beat on it with a pickle fork. There are bearings/moving parts in there.
. . . Do you wake up in the morning feeling... tired,lonely,lost,out of controll...?? Have you ever wondered why,where,how, who, or what was about to happen next?
You my friend have what we call....... The Blue Bell Blundering Blister Blahs.....
but not to fear......for today, and today only, we are prepared to offer to you at an outrageously low price, the one time deal of a lifetime.
Yes friend.....we have it....you need it.... and we are prepared to bargain today, and today only.
So step right up, no need to take a number it's first come first serve and the quanities are limited.
You sir........yes sir.....you sir are next.....
what you need my friend........
is a "Pitman Arm Puller".....
now available at an auto parts store near YOU !!!!
Scrib Abell ~miracles never cease~ ~:~ ================ Professional advice needed removing pitman arm Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Mon, Oct 27, 2003, 5:58pm (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Dan)
I'm removing the pitman arm on a 1988 Chevy 1/2 ton, 4X4, 5.0 liter. I've removed the rod side but I can't get it off the steering box. I can't get a puller on it because the frame is right in the way. I pounded and pounded on a pickle fork to no avail. Do I have to remove the steering box? If so, it looks like I have to remove the fender too, right? Is there any harm in using a pickle fork? I'm thinking of tapering the pickle fork a bit to get more friction and leverage. Thanks for your help! Dan
I'm sorry if I sounded like I didn't know what a pitman arm puller is. I tried several of them and none of them fit in the 1.5 inch clearance between the end of the stearing box bolt and the frame. If you've worked on the aforementioned vehicle you know what I'm talking about - if not you probably think I'm an idiot that doesn't know what a pitman arm puller is. Anyway, I guess I'm stuck with pulling the stearing box -- unless someone has a better idea, or will condone pounding on the joint with a pickle fork. I've already beat on the fork it as hard as I can (with a 10 lb dumbbell) so I don't know if I could do any more damage than I've already done.
Still looking for more opinions...
Thanks!
Dan

you've already f*cked up your steering box by pounding on it. you're going to have to pull the box now (or a short time from now) and replace it. you can put your new pitman arm on your new steering box. in short DON'T use a pickle fork on a steering box, ever.
-Bret

Rent a proper puller .Whatever you do do not use the pickle fork as you can do a lot of internal damage to bearings.

pickle
Ok so I beat on it last week with a pickle fork. What's done is done. Obviously I'm not going to replace my steering gear because someone on the internet says it may be damaged. What tests are there to determine if there is damage and to what extent?
I've learned my lesson, but just so everyone knows -- last week before pounding on it I went to all the rental places and parts places in town looking for a pitman arm puller with a 1.25" opening (what is required). I rented 4 or 5 of them and none of them fit. I go by the book unless all else fails, so the pickle fork was a last resort.
Thanks for the help and patience,
Dan

"Dan" wrote

The main test will be to drive the truck with that steering box and see if there are any wierd noises, symptoms (like the steering locks up)...etc.

Man, sometimes it's better just to pay a professional.
Ian
Getting paid makes you a professional.... $0.02

Not necessarily...I get paid for the work I do on peoples cars...but I am far from the professional...nor do I charge what "professionals" charge....Hell the only reason I take money in the first place is to not get taken advantage of. People think twice, ecpecially when I take the time and explain that there are SOME things that they can do themselves with little or no experience. Most people respect that I would rather them not be over charged by a local garage. BUT on the other hand...I applaud the guys/gals who grind away at the local shops doing what they love...keeping themselves out of trouble.
just my opinion!
Eightupman

determine
town
required).

get
and
guys/gals
themselves
~KJ~: Do you get paid? Eightupman: Yes ~KJ~: Your a professional. Eightupman: I disagree. ~KJ~: www.dictionary.com it isn't an opinion, but a fact.
~KJ~

determine
town
required).

that
Yes. Look it up.
www.dictonary.com
professional ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pr-fsh-nl) adj.
Of, relating to, engaged in, or suitable for a profession: lawyers, doctors, and other professional people. Conforming to the standards of a profession: professional behavior. Engaging in a given activity as a source of livelihood or as a career: a professional writer.
******************************************* Performed by persons receiving pay: professional football. *******************************************
Having or showing great skill; expert: a professional repair job.
n. A person following a profession, especially a learned profession.
************************************************************************** One who earns a living in a given or implied occupation: hired a professional to decorate the house. **************************************************************************
A skilled practitioner; an expert.
Professional means little in my book.
In article

The part about "Conforming to the standards of a profession: professional behavior," pretty much disallow that it merely be for pay.

"Great skill," that's another good one...

"Learned," again, a good one... (many skills are learned)

There's "skill" again.

It will once you learn what it takes. (recalling comments about living with his parents, which means you are either; young, a failure, unable to support yourself, etc. Basically disqualified from passing judgement.)
No offense.

does
doctors,
Hmm, would you call an Olympic bob-sled team professional, because of the skill and learnedness of them? Well there not - they don't get paid. Once you get paid, you are legally professional.
Why with my parents? I graduated last summer.
Why am I not allowed to pass judgment? Because your a stuck up, old, and opinionated? Or because I'm indifferent, young, and neutral?
Offence taken, your obviously a professional and do not like the fact that the legal nature of that is simply the fact you get paid. It means no detriment to your skills, but is also no testament to them. Guess I found the button to poke?
~KJ A young failure unable to support himself~
In article

That you believe that olympic rules have anything to do with what constitutes a professional is laughable.

I didn't ask, I observed. BTW, what did you graduate from?

Because you don't know jack shit.

Because you don't know jack shit.
Everyone wishes they were as smart as they were when they were 18.

Wow, if lawyers make so little that they have to live with their parents, I'm really glad I didn't go into that profession.

Get back to me in 20 years or so, will ya...

You guess wrong.

~when he found the buttons~

the
Once
Funny how the world wined when NHL (hockey) players were allowed in...

Clown Colledge

Yes I do. http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/jack.html

Okay, so it is because your stuck up, old, and opinionated. Thanks for letting me know.

Only those so old that they can't rememeber...................

Yes, because age is a virtue. Thats why your wife uses a multitude of beauty creams, because she wants to get older faster... Oh no wait, it isn't a virtue. Infact, unless I'm just a silly young kid, you get old no matter what. I think thats the way it works anyways, I haven't been around long enough to see old people.

I believe not, with such a vehement post.

No..... you don't. You only think you do. Bob
In article

Let's see if you can find your asshole with the aid of a road map...

"The world?" Funny the things that you find important in life, games and such. The mark of a child. But do clarify for me what an alcoholic drink made from grapes has to do with any of this.

Bozo, hurricane... is that you? Are you back? Can I get a "bwahahahaha' from you? How were things in Russia?

Ooops, nothing useful there...

Awwww, is your widdle feewings hurt?

Tis better to have known and forgotten then to be a clueless half-wit.

Yup, and the pay is higher.

What your mommy does has little relation to the rest of the world. Does she need that stuff because she was a hockey player?

No? Do tell.

"Infact?" I think you got robbed by that "clown colledge." (or, maybe your were at the top of the class)

That's how it appears.

Too bad that in your case, that's all you have to look forward to.

Pity.

"Vehement?" heh-heh-heh-heh...

<censored to prevent retinal bleeding>
Of course that wasn't retaliation, me not finding the buttons and all... I can see I wont win this, even if I win this.
So I will resort to the age-old "yes dear" And leave you to your rude, vulgar self, showing the professionalism that your years of blissful ignorance have bestowed upon you.
Truly Neil, you are a god - your older, better paid, and have wisdom as old as the fjords of Norway.
I salute you, with a big shout-out "YES DEAR!"
-The Lonely Grease Monkey 1985' K5 305CUI TH700R4 NP203 KJ's successor
"Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, then he who believes what is a wrong." - Thomas Jefferson