Quieting A Noisey Rear End?

It's not really a rear end....instead it's the gear drive on a new rotary mower (BCS tractor attachment)....but this thing is muy noisey right out of the box and by all accounts that's just the way it is.

Seems like somewhere in the dim past I heard of people mixing something or other into the differential lube to quiet a rear end that was on the way out....on a car that was for sale....

Anybody know of something that'll do the job, but not compromise the gears?

Reply to
(Pete Cresswell)

About the only thing that you could use that won't hurt the gears or bearings would be ear plugs. The old auto trick was to us fine saw dust to quit gear boxes and differentials. But that doesn't do much good for the lubricity of the gear oil. So you would expect damage eventually.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

Two pounds of Banannas:

Worked great on a car the boss was running to the auction when I was 17.

I laughed for over a week on that one.

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish_King1

Yeah! I remember the banana trick from when I was a kid.

-- Best Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

hmm... you eat 2 pounds of bananas and you'll definitely NOT have a quiet rear end.. lmao

Reply to
mac davis

LOFL!

Charmin to the rescue!

On the other hand, you could eat beans, to obscure the car's rear end nois. With your rear end?

Refinish King

PS Eat beans, they're good for your heart!

Reply to
Refinish_King1

Beans beans, the magical fruit...

Reply to
SBlackfoot

Cut the muffler off....

Or put a coffee can muffler tip on and say the noise is the high speed turbo in the tip....

Reply to
Steve W.