Re: Help - Heater core '92 s10 Blazer

This will help you out a lot. As to the price of the core it depends on what you get. When I replaced mine I paid 26 bucks for a 94.

Reply to
Steve W.

That is a good site explaining the process. The only things I would add to it is A) remove the passanger side seat. 4 bolts, perhaps a couple of pieces of plastic, but it'll give you tons more work space. B) This is one of the worst jobs to do on your truck -- terrible design -- and you'll probably be cursing before you're done, so do it when no small children are nearby.

Big Chris

Reply to
Big Chris

Jones

The only thing the directions forget other than pulling the seat for more room is the box of Band-Aids and the adult beverage of choice to keep you from torching the truck and the dealer that sold it to you when you get done. Of course the S-10 is still easier than a few I have done earlier. I had a Dodge that you basically had to strip the dash out and then cut a hole to get to the core. Brilliant design there.

Steve W.

Reply to
Steve W.

In addition to all the other advice, be sure to have an extra extension bar or two for your 1/4" socket set. Some of the cover screws are maddening to get to. I did my '94 Jimmy. Took 4 hours. $67 for the better unit from NAPA.

btw, A/C is not a problem.

--reed

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Reply to
Reed

$280 Canadian for a heater core, installed? That sounds pretty low to me... I was quoted over $600 to get the heater core replaced in my Trans Am, and that's not quite as bad of a design as an S-series.

Of course, I told that shop to screw it and I did it myself, and later found out that they're less then reputable (long story).

Reply to
SBlackfoot

The SyTY website (already referenced) is great. I know its a lot of steps, but that's only cause they literally tell you every step to take. If you print out the photos full size, even in B&W, its easier than trying to read the directions while lying on the ground by the truck.

I did it in two hours, w/o removing the seat, and I am six and a half feet tall. Just had a stack of the photos and flipped from one to the next. Saved $300! And, it was my first heater core, ever.

As far as being one of the more difficult ones around, it was a piece of cake compared to my 83 Buick, where the AllData directions began:

Remove the windshield wipers and wiper arms, mounts, lower windshield cover, all the wires along the firewall, etc.

That was a long and cold October night, but I had to have heat!

So, look at the photos, get a part from a good source (or it will blow again next year), and while you are at it, flush and fill the correct ratio, and be oh so careful when reattaching the heater hoses to the new core. Those tubes are SOFT and the weakest part of the system is where they are welded to the core!!! Use new hose clamps, too.

Jeff

Reply to
jeffNOSPAMgodfrey

I had my mechanic replace my core for $194.

However, I discovered non of the t connectors the vent hoses connect to were fastened properly. Leaking air inside the dash. Missing all sorts of bolts. Sent him a bill for $400 and he was kind enough to fix everything for free. :) hehe

Reply to
LS