92 Passat heater core

Need to replace the heater core on my 92 Passat. It seems the whole dash has to come out including drilling out the steering column - that seem reasonable?

Reply to
Rich D

well look at some pictures to get an idea.

No drilling of the steering column is needed to my knowledge, but you are right the dash has to come out.

good luck and have fun! ;-)

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I have a 94 Pasat. The dashboard and the Steering wheel had to be unhooked. Freon has to be emtid. VW paid for it there is a goodwill Guarantee on it. Kurt

Reply to
Kurt

Yeah have a 91 and it cost 800 bucks for us to get it changed.

Reply to
westfaliaguy

Nice pictures :) Glad I didn't see them before I started. Finished the heater core over the weekend and wound up trashing the ignition switch.

Any odea how to get that adapter spline off so you can get the switch asssembley out?

Reply to
Rich D

Congrats on finishing that heater core job. Just takes time doesn't it! ;-)

That steering wheel adapter spline needs to be pulled off with a puller or something that will do the job of a puller.

A kit like this

be able to pull it off easily. It is similar to what I use.You might be able to rent a tool to do the job. later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1