RUST

anyone here doing anything extra to help their "BABY" resist/fight off RUST? my '82 is showing rust signs and i am FREAKED OUT!! im thinking of dressing her in RUST BULLET primer and adding a RUST STOP
electronic rust preventive system. yes i could "upgrade" BUT, i've been behind the golden bowtie on the grille for many years now and do not want to let go now.~>tom<~
On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 00:05:32 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (tom) wrote:

I can tell you what I have been doing for over 20 years and it works. Every fall and spring I spray used gear oil on the underside of truck, up inside bed wells and in doors with a paint sprayer gun. It gets into all the cracks and the additives in gear oil stops rust dead. After a few years of this it starts to form a crust or film on metal the protects it well and you just touch up as needed. I do this to my plow trucks, plows and speaders and they all still look great after many years of service. ( I clean and spray down plows and speaders in spring before storage) I have a 79 J20 jeep that is well know for its tendancy to rust that still has nearly 100% of its frame and the body is about 95% or better intact from rust damage. Rust proofing does not get into crack where rust start like gear oil can and it can also trap moisure too and does nothing to retard rust in progress like gear oil will. The one draw back is that it cause vehicle to stink for a few day to a week (depending on weather). Gear oil is hard to wash off too so it lasts for a while. The heavier the grade of it the better. I use used 85w140, straight 90 or straight 140. With heaiver oils you may need to heat it to spray better especailly in cold weather. It just to need to be warm but not to hot to touch and hold. I have seen plows and speaders but a few years old that look far worse than my equipment and some of which is over 10 years old too. It really works. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com