Shifter jumps out of 4WD

A friend has a 1990 Chevy 4WD pickup. I told him I'd try to help him fix it, but I am not sure what the problem is either. Does anyone know what would be causing this and how to fix it? Is there linkage, or does the shifter go right into the 4wd unit? If there are linkages, I'd suspect linkage problems.

All help appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

Reply to
Jimw

It basically goes directly into the transfer case. No adjustable linkage.

Reply to
Augustus

Thats what I sort of thought. So what could cause the problem? Thanks

Reply to
Jimw

Usually this happens when 4H is not fully engaged......

Reply to
Augustus

Do you mean the front lockouts or just the shifter itself is not in the right position? We tried to get the shifter in the proper position. His lockouts are the automatic type with the servo motor. I was wondering if that servo could be bad. I hear they are a common failure item.

Thank U

Jim

Reply to
Jimw

I meant the shifter not being in the right position. Agressive off-roading and under body impacts and torque can sometimes cause issues. Have you tried removing the console and exposing the top of the unit and see if there's more play to move it?

Reply to
Augustus

Ok, I understand you now. Unless we get another heavy snowstorm, I plan to look at it tomorrow (or I guess that's today now). I can see where it could be out of line or loose. Thanks for the help.

Jim

Reply to
Jimw