steering box has play

I own a 1983 chevy4x4 1/2 ton /The steering box has play /how can I check to make sure it is box?//Also how can I adjust play out of box thanks bob

Not sure about yours, but some boxes had a screw held with a locking nut accessible from the top of the box. Loosen the locking nut, and with the steering straight ahead, turn the screw in till snug, then back off a tad and tighten the locking nut. This solved a few highway speed wobbles in a few vehicles I owned over the years.