Transmission fluid mystery

SBlackfoot wrote:

You tell me Gary, how does a transfer case get enough pressure in it to "spray over the exhaust, and cause one HELL of a smokeshow"? I'm not saying they can't leak but I've never seen one leak that bad unless it had a hole in the case. As you well know however transmissions are notorious for blowing ATF on the exhaust and smoking like hell. Bob

Reply to
Bob

Sorry,but I agree with everyone. There is no way,a transfer case can build up that much pressure. I had a leak on my '97 and wasn`t sure where all the fluid was coming from.It was dripping from all over.Then the tranny yaked on me.It was coming out the vent on the tranny. Transfer case NO! Transmission YES!

Reply to
Bill

I'll tell you exactly how you spray fluid on the pipes throwing a huge smoke screen. I replaced my TH 350 with a 700R4 to NP 205 which has a vent on top covered only by a loose fitting domed cap. Also, the 205 is supposed to use just enough 80-90wt to wet the bottom of the gears. When the seals leak in the adapter and fill up the TC w/5wt tm fluid and you run it fast and hot, the high level of tm fluid in the TC foams up and pukes out the vent. Now you know! LD

Reply to
LD

See my post in response to Bob. I can't speak about "all" TC's and "all" adapters but as I described, it happens. LD

Reply to
LD

Sounds reasonable... Like I said, I never did bother to find out where the ATF was spitting out from. I had just bought the truck at the time (my first vehicle) and had a tranny shop look at it to figure out what was happening, and they made the t-case-full-of-ATF discovery. The smokeshow only happened on highway offramps when slowing down from 100+kph, every time. It lasted a good half of the ramp too. Now if I could've done that on command, that could've been fun. ;)

Reply to
SBlackfoot

Well if I were just a "slackjaw making up stories" I'd have to be pretty dedicated to keep it up for over four years now wouldn't I? Yep, someone sure is "full of it" and it's not I...

Reply to
SBlackfoot